What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft camping??

crabandy

Well Known Member
Suggestions for flyin camping within a couple hour flight of KC? Preferably national park-fishing-kiddo friendly etc. Petit Jean? Gastons?
Thanks,
Andy

Petit Jean is great for camping. Camp site is just off the runway. Nice site. Electricity available. Decent bathroom, shower. There is a lodge not too far away as well where you can stay if you prefer not to rough it. I have only stayed there when we have had the annual group fly-in so I have never had to make individual arrangements. Runway in good shape. No fuel.
Gastons is a very nice place for the Sunday brunch. A little pricey at the restaurant but the Sunday brunch is worth it. Very pretty setting along the river. IMHO the cabins are not the best. Kind of old and musty.
Grass strip is usually in very good shape although you need to be careful about the approach. Great place if you are into fishing but boat rental is high and they nickel and dime you for the boat, seat, engine, etc. I have made a few day trips there just for the Sunday brunch. People there have always been very pleasant.
Hope this helps!

Peter K
9A-448 hrs

Camping

I don't know if the dates will work for you but this is a great little fly-in with camping and showers right on Tablerock Lake. Here is the information I copied from our local pilots association newsletter.

April 26 - 28 ? Golden, MO ? Table Rock Airport (MO32) Second Annual Flying Circus will be a three day event filled with flying, presentations, tall tales, camping on the field, antique engines, classic cars, arts & crafts, etc. Fly out breakfast on Saturday morning to Carroll County Airport (4M1) at Berryville. For more information visit: www.goldenaerodrome.com and the you tube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/goldenaerodrome to familiarize yourself with the proper arrival/ departure procedures. Download flyer from website. Register on the website so they will have an idea for headcount planning.

Jim, have you attended this fly-in? We are thinking about coming over from Forth Worth.

thanks

I was there last year and it was a lot of fun. I plan on camping there again this year. They said we could even pitch our tents inside the big hangar if it looks like rain. :)Can't get any better than that. Super nice bunch of folks. They have a grass runway between the paved runway and the taxiway too. The last time I spoke to someone there they said the main runway was back in good shape.

The Golden fly-in sounds like fun, I grew up vacationing at Shell Knob and have flown into Turkey Mountain. Unfortunately I work weekends and it will be a weekday trip. Maybe after I get more seniority!

Last edited:
Back