What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL40 died, repair or GTR 200

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My Garmin SL40 Comm Radio died. I can send it in for repair, which according to the avionics shop will be about $850 or I could get the new model, GTR 200.

The GTR 200 is attractive for a few reasons, but the biggest drawback is the amount of work to install.

Will the GTR tray fit in the same install slot as the SL40 tray, or is it bigger? I don't mind the wiring, but the thought of having to cut into my panel is a bit horrifying.

Can I use the same coax for antenna?

According to the manuals it looks to be a five one hundreths of an inch taller.

If you converted, how did the install go?

Thanks,
Michael-

Last edited:
I made the switch from an SL40 to a GTR 200 in Feb. 2021. The five one hundredths of an inch difference in size didn't keep me from getting the GTR 200 into the old SL40 slot. That could partly be because the GTR 200 tray has more "open" area on top. I used the same comm antenna and its connections.

In my RV-7A slider, after removing my 4 avionics units, I removed the avionics tray stack 1 piece at a time. Then I built up the avionics stack with the GTR 200 tray in it on the bench. Then disassembled the avionics stack. Then built up the avionics stack one piece at a time through the panel opening, which didn't need to be enlarged. This entire process was really helped by having a Garmin GDU375 panel opening adjacent to the avionics stack. Sure, there's some work involved, but it's not onerous and has been well worth it.

Wiring up the harness was pretty straight forward.

ATC has always responded to radio check queries from GTR 200 transmissions with "loud and clear". With all of the upgraded performance features, newer technology and a warranty made the switch a "no brainer" for me even with the $300-400 higher cost than the SL40 repair.

GTR200

Michael- I’ve had ‘em both. Can’t speak to the installation, but as to the quality & features, the GTR200 is terrific. Love it in my -12. By the way, are we related? Ben Burbridge

Thanks for sharing your experience with the install. That is encouraging.

Ben. Your last name is spelled like everyone wants to spell my last name, only mine doesn't have the 'r', so it's Burbidge.

Of course that doesn't mean we are not related if we went a ways back. Names can change over time.

My Burbidge grandparents lived in Washington and Utah.

Back