What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taxiway edges at Oshkosh

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I haven't parked at Oshkosh since 2006 but I am giving it some thought this year. Since the last time I was there I have modified the wheel fairings to be very close fitting and with an inch or less of exposed tire below the fairing. Needless to say I would hate to damage them exiting or entering the taxi way. I made them so the "subfairings" are removable and after the AirVenture Cup Race we are landing at Waupaca to stage for a group arrival and special parking at OSH. We are usually at the staging airport for hours and I could remove them if that would eliminate the problem.

What kind of transition should I expect? In 2005 and 2006 I had no problem with the stock fairings.

Bob Axsom

Hi Bob. Last year I went and had to taxi in the grass and it was really rough. I saw a Vari-Easy fold the nose gear. :mad:

Cant you just request a hard surface turn off? I thought I read that in the NOTAM in previous years.

Cant you just request a hard surface turn off?

Last year I landed long on 27 and the controllers had me turn right into the grass near B2; the transition to grass wasn't that bad, but the marshallers had me on the grass taxiway headed eastbound... it was hot, dry and the grass was getting pretty rough, so I eased up onto the eastbound twy B. Then the marshallers started waving like crazy to get me back on the grass, dunno why. So even if you request a taxiway turnoff from ATC, the ground dudes with flags might have other ideas...

Yep, it was pretty rough in '11 off 27 as well. Wet, rutted... Glad I was in the RV - the wheelpants on the Hiperbipe would have never survived.

Last year I landed long on 27 and the controllers had me turn right into the grass near B2;

Merely curious, but why is 27 traffic turned right rather than left for the back taxi? Doing so requires crossing the active to get to N40, HBC, and show parking.

Just to be safe, I would remove the wheel fairings for the leg inbound to OSH. That would eliminate the worry during taxi.

Several years ago at the Daniel Field Air Show, I allowed the marshaller to direct me off of the runway edge onto the grass. Both wheel fairings incurred damage. I was really upset at myself for allowing this to happen because I was on a closed runway being utilized for static display. I could have just shut down and pushed the aircraft onto the grass.

At OSH you will be on an active runway and will have not have that option. For peace of mind, I would remove the fairings.

Last edited:
Last year I landed on 27 and was directed to exit left onto the grass. I don't remember it being bad at all. No issues for my RV-6.

Dodge County Wins Again

I decided I'll fly down to Dodge County again and pick up an Enterprise car from them, go to the award banquet at Went's Marina that evening and fly home Monday.

Bob Axsom

Same here. It is a pretty good haul to get to HBP/HBC from there.

At least you get to taxi there. Last year I flew an RV-10 to MN & borrowed a 172 to get to Oshkosh. I was used to parking the -10 in HBP, but had never even seen the north 40. I tied down, unpacked, got ready to head to the south end and it took me 30 minutes to find someone who knew a way to get there without walking 3 miles with our bags. I won't be disappointed if I never fly a GA non-classic to Oshkosh again. It would have been faster to fly to Green Bay & rent a car. :confused:

The last time I flew into Airventure, which was 4 years ago, I landed my -7A on 27, turned off to the north and was directed into the grass for the taxi over to HBP. Didn't get back to pavement until abeam the warbird area. It was far too brutal for both me and the plane. Nothing broke on the plane, but who needs to endure that again. Not me. I value my plane too much.

Driving in from an airport 1 or 2 hours away suits me just fine.

Merely curious, but why is 27 traffic turned right rather than left for the back taxi? Doing so requires crossing the active to get to N40, HBC, and show parking.

I was wondering the same... it was a loooong taxi to the east, then had to cross 27, past the warbird ramp and then to HBC. With the hot weather and long taxi I had a pretty good case of vapor lock going on my engine by the time I was at HBC. Of course, the top off of mogas in Missouri might have contributed to that.

I've landed 27 previously and made a left turn in the grass with a short drive, but no such luck last year.

Back