What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mikey Flies Again!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Just eight days after all the boxes showed up from Stein, Mikey is back in the air with a new suite of avionics! Since I really enjoy building, and particularly systems work, I have never used a pre-built harness before, but due to time constraints imposed by our impending move, it made sense to have the guys up in Minnesota build us a “Central Nervous System” this time. We’d already removed the previous avionics and cut the panel to match the new modular blank when the boxes arrived – the destruction phase took a couple of evening’s work.

Mechanical installation of radio racks and the mysterious black boxes took a day and a half, and installing the harness itself was a couple more sessions. Little stuff, like wiring up the new annunciators, adding breakers and fuses, etc. accounted for a couple of days, and Louise spent the better part of Saturday underneath the panel tidying up all of the wire bundles I had temporarily tacked together with cable ties (the harness was beautifully tied by Doyle at Steinair, but we needed to secure it to existing structure and aircraft wiring, of course).

We had the airplane re-weighed and ready to fly on Saturday night, and took it for a quick trip around the pattern. It was quick because I had fat-fingered the “Sensor type” for the CHT thermocouples, selecting K instead of J, so as we climbed out and saw CHT’s climbing over 500, we figured a closed pattern was a good idea (I had removed the left Mag to install the RPM sensor, so I immediately suspected I had honked up the timing ….). An uneventful landing was followed by some head scratching, timing checks, and an “aha!” moment when I realized the timing was good, but the sensor type was not.

Two test flights on Sunday proved that (with a couple of minor exceptions), everything is working as it should. The calibration with the new AHRS modules was a breeze, magnetometer checks were perfect (mounted on the aft fuselage deck), and this morning I watched the new autopilot shoot an LPV approach to our neighboring field with nary a bobble. I really like the new autopilot control panel – it seems more intuitive than the softkeys on the G3X screens.

Here’s the panel all powered up. We have a nice 3 – 1/8” hole on the left for a backup ADI – it is all wired for a Gemini, but while we’re waiting on that, we figured it would be a good chance to try out the snap-in panel mount for the D1, and fly that for a little while.

P1030084.JPG

We’ve still got some labels to make, limits to set, I have to chase down an OAT problem, and then we can start climbing the learning curve for the 650…but Mikey now has an IFR GPS capability!

(The start of the process was documented at: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=100259)

Paul

Last edited:
8 days! My god. I have a fairly similar panel and mine took me....uh.....7 days! No....not really, not even close. Congrats, enjoy that panel!

Nice work, but then I'd expect no less from the both of you! Thanks for sharing the adventures of Mikey's upgrades. :)

Last edited:
Oldest with newest

Isn't mikey one of the oldest RV6s? Talk about moving to the head of the class, very nice job guys! I bet it even made him faster???

Nice work Paul and Louise!
I just got my 305 installed today too. Looking forward to the dedicated buttons, and also the flight director. Gee! I wonder why Stein sent me one with a Yaw Damper button???? :eek:

Simply FANTASTIC panel upgrade. I love the effective simplicity along with the amazing upgrade to instant situational awareness your avionics choices have made. I notice you say you flew a constant descent non ILS GPS approach coupled to the autopilot recently (LPV). Once you get used to these, you will never ever want to "dive and drive" again, I'm sure you already know this! I am not personally experienced with your particular avionics and autopilot, aside from liking what I see quite a bit and I've been reading up on some of these suites lately. In my experience with non ILS constant descent GPS approaches for other aircraft I fly, I am always very aware of a few things that need to be done accurately and timely or conversely can be misapplied in the heat of the battle. When learning how to use your system in real airspace and in real weather, does your avionics maker offer some sort of "simulator" app to play with the modes on the ground, such as while using a laptop or similar?

Just think how far we have come in cockpit ergonomics and situation awareness. Here is a B-36 cockpit to compare.

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/062/B-36J Engineer.html

By the way, what was the weight difference between your last panel and this one? What do you think the difference would be, compared to a night VFR round dial panel?

Last edited:
Looks good! Clean and simple.

Half-joking and half-serious, how do you two adapt from the symmetrical panels of Junior (sorry, still call it Junior in my head) and Val to Mikey's asymmetry?

TODR

A quick update - the OAT problem turned out to be a couple of swapped pins - easily corrected. And that makes pretty much everything else work now as well! (In simple airplanes, OAT is an afterthought - to get the full benefit of an EFIS, however, OAT is everywhere - TAS, winds aloft, Percent power, etc).

.... When learning how to use your system in real airspace and in real weather, does your avionics maker offer some sort of "simulator" app to play with the modes on the ground, such as while using a laptop or similar?

By the way, what was the weight difference between your last panel and this one? What do you think the difference would be, compared to a night VFR round dial panel?

Oh, I've been flying LPV approaches for quite awhile in the various EFIS's out there - it certainly does change the way we think about instrument flying. I really think (and have said so publicly), that an EFIS-specific simulator would be a great advantage for the first manufacturer that invests in it - a way to learn the full capability of the unit without burning Avgas. Dynon is very invested in providing training classes on their system, and that is great! It is not cheap, however, to build and maintain a PC-based simulator when you consider the total number of customers.

Looks good! Clean and simple.

Half-joking and half-serious, how do you two adapt from the symmetrical panels of Junior (sorry, still call it Junior in my head) and Val to Mikey's asymmetry?

TODR

Heck, who adapts/ Louise is the one who makes great landings in the -6...I make "arrivals"....:rolleyes:

Stein and I have given a Forum at Oshkosh the last few years on choosing an EFIS - and the truth is, all of the major manufacturers provide pretty good products these days. We pride ourselves at never recommending a specific system to the crowd - because nothing is right for everyone. I fly them all (some more than others, but I try to be familiar with them all), and provide feedback on what I like and what I think would be enhancements. The whole breed just keeps getting better and better. Buy what meets your requirements, not what someone else recommends because they bought it.

Listen to standy by freq

Paul, With the new GTN 650, can you moniter the stand by comm freq
like the SL 30?

like the SL 30?

I don't think so - but you can with the GNC 255 (which is the replacement for the SL30). I just got back from doing my BFR in the airplane, and we were doing that.

It was an interesting BFR - my long-time CFI and neighbor flies lots of different airplanes, and he really knew how to work the 650 and I was shocked at how well he seemed to know the G3X because he doesn't generally fly experimental. I asked how he was flying the G3X, and his response was that e wasn't - but he had lots of G1000 time, and it was 95% the same. I knew they were similar, but hadn't been able to do a direct comparison myself, so that's a data point for folks switching or transitioning.

like the SL 30?

Tom,

Yes you can do this. Not the NAV freq however. Only the COM. I just did this this weekend.

35i7qlj.png

On another note you asked about. The 650 will still provide vertical guidance on an LPV approach even with an expired database. Did that Saturday. (The ability to select an approach goes away after the database has been expired for so long. I think it is 6 months)

Last edited:
Guess we should read the manual!

Thanks, Brantel. Life is screaming past us so fast right now that neither of us have read the manual. It's great to know I can now monitor four comm and three nav frequencies!

Thanks, Brantel. Life is screaming past us so fast right now that neither of us have read the manual. It's great to know I can now monitor four comm and three nav frequencies!

Yep, the only problem is keeping em all straight. Those little RX indicators are a Godsend!

That's the nice thing about the 650. You can work the thing out of the box without reading the manual very easily. It's very intuitive for the "big picture" thing. I can't imagine what the real capabilities are if I read the manual :D

Wow!

Congrats guys. It took me a month to do what you guys did in a long week! I'm very impressed! Paul, I had to run down a miss cue on my wiring as well. Isn't it nice when everything works as advertised.

I've been flying my new panel for just under two years and thanks to VAF and this thread, I now know that my GTN 650 can monitor the stand-by frequency.
You've got to love this forum!

Multi tasking for sure, your brain has more capacity and functionality than mine. My plate is full monitoring two frequencies - like ATIS and the tower on arrival - limitations fitting the circumstances of life and other things. :)

Congrats guys. It took me a month to do what you guys did in a long week! I'm very impressed! Paul, I had to run down a miss cue on my wiring as well. Isn't it nice when everything works as advertised.

I've been flying my new panel for just under two years and thanks to VAF and this thread, I now know that my GTN 650 can monitor the stand-by frequency.
You've got to love this forum!

8 days? A month? It took me almost 5 months!

Back