What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The final rivet!

rph142

Well Known Member
It has been 5 years and 1 month since I started my 3B. In that time I have transfered jobs while relocating from St Louis to Philly, got married, bought a house, gutted said house, experienced first hand a refinery closure, and am now preparing for another job transfer and move from Philly to San Francisco. So there I was, somewhere between 6,000 - 11,000 rivets under my belt, with just one lowly pop rivet standing in the way of my date with the DAR this Friday. It never stood a chance.

Congratulations

Rob,
Good luck on your DAR visit and first flight! You've built a beautiful airplane.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is a great post, text and photo are perfect:D

Methinks it may be front page material tomorrow.

Outstanding Rob! Your website was an early inspiration and source of information for us on our build - glad to see you're about to be done.

I am taking today to get our own little project ready for the DAR (and of course, taxiing it slowly up and down the runway to check engine functions), so I know just how exciting it is! Can't say I've done the "last rivet"...but we're close on your heals!

Paul

Last edited:
Nice Bird!

Rob congratulations, but the pictures don?t do justice, since I have seen it personally. Unique paint scheme and the workmanship is top notch. Good luck on the inspection and beginning phase 1

Cert versus Reg as 3, 3A, 3B

Quick comment based on the dataplate. My 1992 RV-3A is Certificated as an RV-3A and Registered as an RV-3. Not a big deal, but I would prefer to have it listed as an RV-3A in both places. I asked the FAA several times to amend the Registration to show its an RV-3A and even had the cooperation of the builder to say it should have been registered as an RV-3A, but so far I've not been able to get it done.

Would appreciate any comments from others about Cert versus Reg discrepancies as RV-3, 3A, and 3B.... and any positive or negative ramifications.

registration fix..

First order of business... Congrates Rob. Well done. Enjoy.

I asked the FAA several times to amend the Registration to show its an RV-3A and even had the cooperation of the builder to say it should have been registered as an RV-3A, but so far I've not been able to get it done.

Would appreciate any comments from others about Cert versus Reg discrepancies as RV-3, 3A, and 3B.... and any positive or negative ramifications.

I had a similar issue, the Airworthiness Certificate was correct, the registration was not. The problem with my registration was humorous in retrospect. It showed up as "restricted" and "aerial surveying". ???:D

This is the text I used, and it probably went certified mail. I had tried via phone and email before but this got it done.

"I would greatly appreciate it if the classification and category were corrected in the FAA online registration lookup to agree with the Airworthiness Certificate, specifically "Experimental" and "Amateur built".

Included is a printout of the online record as of 23Nov2010. Corrections noted.

Please communicate the plans for correction or if no correction will be made, why such as position is being taken."

As far as 3, 3a, 3b..... Personally, I think there is very useful information communicated by "3b", but not so much on the 3 or 3a. Most non-3b buyers are going to look inside the wing and in the log books to see if it is type one or two spar, and what has or hasn't been done with the front and rear spars...so in my book, I don't so much care about the name as what it looks like and if it has been moded, was the mod tested and documented as such.

Great news! I can't wait to see a picture of the entire airplane. That paint job has to look outstanding!

Congratulations Rob!

I gotta see your bird in person someday. Good news is, I should be able to recognize it from across the ramp! :D

Back