What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFD 440 to G5 to display ILS/GS or LPV

tomww

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to work out how to use my back up G5 to give lateral and vertical guidance from my IFD440.

The G5 is a back up to my AFS5600 (an excellent system). At the moment it is a stand alone unit with no connections apart from power.

Is it possible to get an ILS/GS and or LPV display from the G5? I've looked in the G5 install manual and it looks like it will. Then I see in the user handbook that "An external navigator (i.e. GTN/GNS, GNC 255, or SL30 Nav/Comm Transceiver) must be configured to receive glideslope and/or glidepath vertical deviation indications" I don't see how that information gets back from the G5 to the IFD.

I have an AFS ARINC box. If that helps. But I'd prefer not to go through that as I want an independent back up in case of problems.

Sorry if this is a daft question. But I'm more than a bit confused.

Thanks

You would need to use Garmin's ARINC adapter (GAD-29) to get what you want on the G5. I have a similar set up to yours (Dynon Skyview with IFD440 and a G5 backup). I connected the G5 to the IFD with RS-232/MapMX. Gives you lateral guidance but no glideslope.

Last edited:
The G5 cannot just use a serial output from the IFD 440 to drive the G5 CDI for LOC and GS?

Carl

Nope, at least not from your typical GPS navigator including the IFD440. Don't know about something like an SL-30 or GNC-255.

A serial connection will get you lateral guidance - which does not get more sensitive as you move from the enroute - terminal - approach phases. You don't get vertical guidance at all.
An ARINC-429 connection is require to get all this. I might point out that this is the same on the Dynon as well. A serial connection will get you lateral guidance on the Dynon HSI but no glideslope.

I might point out that this is the same on the Dynon as well. A serial connection will get you lateral guidance on the Dynon HSI but no glideslope

Not my experience so perhaps this is an IFD-440 issue? On the first RV I ran a D10A being fed via serial from either a GX-60 for GPS, or SL-30 for VOR/LOC/ILS. No ARINC. A simple toggle switch selected the GX-60 or SL-30 serial input to the D10A. The SL-30 provided perfect LOC/GS indication on the the D10A.

So good discussion. I have been bouncing back between the D10A and the G5 for the backup EFIS on the new RV-10 (dual SkyView install). This leads me to think the D10A is the right choice.

Carl

The D10A is dinosaur (I'm actually surprised its still around), plus you can get the G5 + the GAD429 for less cost than just the D10A.

Not my experience so perhaps this is an IFD-440 issue? On the first RV I ran a D10A being fed via serial from either a GX-60 for GPS, or SL-30 for VOR/LOC/ILS. No ARINC. A simple toggle switch selected the GX-60 or SL-30 serial input to the D10A. The SL-30 provided perfect LOC/GS indication on the the D10A.

So good discussion. I have been bouncing back between the D10A and the G5 for the backup EFIS on the new RV-10 (dual SkyView install). This leads me to think the D10A is the right choice.

Carl

Not surprised the SL-30 worked. AFAIK, the SL-30 does not have ARINC and will provide it's full guidance either via old fashioned analog connections or RS-232. I would guess its replacement, the GNC-255, probably will too. No experience with the old GX-60 GPS.

Its the Garmin 430s/650s etc, and for sure the IFD440/540 (which emulate the 430/530 protocol and connection wise) that will not do this via RS-232. They only provide full lateral and GS guidance over ARINC

I don't think the D10A will help you if the data source is one of the more modern GPS/NAV/COM units.

Not surprised the SL-30 worked. SNIP

Its the Garmin 430s/650s etc, and for sure the IFD440/540 (which emulate the 430/530 protocol and connection wise) that will not do this via RS-232. They only provide full lateral and GS guidance over ARINC SNIP

Another “Garmin Value Added”. I still hold out hope we someday have other options for IFR TSO GPS navigators.

Carl

Back