What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need CFI for Insurance Checkout KFWA

GrinchF16

Well Known Member
Buying an RV7A and insurance is requiring a “checkout” by a CFI with 25 hours A-model RV time. Live west of FWA near Warsaw, Indiana. Have not taken delivery of my airplane yet so need a CFI with a plane.. at least I’m not demanding or anything.... ;)
Thanks

I and others have just responded to a similar request (‘rv7a cfi needed...’). You should read it to see why you will have more success finding a cfi after you have your airplane available....

Bob, I will read that. However, it seems fairly obvious that it would be much easier to find a CFI for my own plane. Of course, if my plane were here, that’s what I would prefer as well. So here’s my situation the way I see it. I find some benevolent soul in my area who has an RV7A and the required experience or I can find a CFI to fly into the hills of WV and check me out there, or I can find a pilot to ferry my plane from WV to FWA. So, I figure, why not ask for the simplest first.....

Happy to hear creative solutions..

-UPDATE-

Bob,
I read the other posts and understand. However, I’m not worried about abusing my RV7A. I’m a little beyond the 200 hour mark so pretty sure I can fly the airplane. What I need is someone to take me up, do some slow flight, stall series, spin (ideally), and a handful of landings. If I were a CFI and someone needed a checkout I’d be happy to do it for no charge as long as the intrepid aviator were willing to share with me a couple of hours over breakfast or some expertise on rewiring a RV panel...

Last edited:
Training: Alex DeDominicis

Alex is a great transition trainer and well worth the time. (It's an easy trip from FWA) The RV-7 has stall characteristics that are very different than most RV's. I thoroughly enjoyed my training with him even though I was 1,000 hours plus in hi-performance-complex airframes. Take the time and learn from him. Well worth it !!

Dwight,
Who is this Alex you speak of? Could you pass his location and contact info? I did fly a flight with the owner and we did some stalls and a bunch of slow flight. Airplane flies beautifully in slow flight. Was actually one of the main reasons I bought her. Slow flight characteristics can tell you a lot about an airplane...

I see you’re building a 14, that has to be very exciting! What a great airplane!

I appreciate the assist..

Transition training

Yes, that the URL. We did a few stalls with his 7 and definitely appreciated learning from him. Very good instructor. Even DR has been through his instruction. I've flown the 9 before and the 7 seems to have more "issues" in stall than the 8 or 9. I have over 100 hours on my 14 now and appreciate his training.

Back