What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 7A CFI Instructor Needed SE US

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
I need an instructor tricycle gear Vans MEM area for transition training. Prefer TN, AL, AR, MS locations if possible. Must have proof of insurance.

I need an instructor tricycle gear Vans MEM area for transition training. Prefer TN, AL, AR, MS locations if possible. Must have proof of insurance.

I am a CFI instructor in MEM area with +2000 Hrs RV (4, 6, 7) time, ATP... but don't carry insurance. What kind of insurance do you or your insurance require? Is this a plane you own you want transition in or do you want an instructor and RV7A to rent? I may be able to help you... Most of my time is in tail dragger RV's. All the best. I was looking into instructing in my RV7 (tail dragger), but when I added up cost and insurance it was going to be expensive per hour for student and require I give +100 hour of dual a year to break even. Good luck. Cheers.

Last edited:
RV 7A instruction

Thanks for the reply to my instructor wanted post. I have a (potential) partner for my RV7a. He and I shared a Cirrus SR20 7 years ago, but it was sold and I bought a Bonanza. He has about 200 hrs TT and an instrument rating. All of his experience is in the Cirrus and he has not flown in the past 7 years. Ideally, the instruction could be done in another RV7A and spare my aircraft the wear and tear of instruction.

I'd really like to discuss this with you via phone if you could call me or I could call you. My email is [email protected]. That might be easier than using the forum for contact.

Thanks again for your response.

Thomas Cheairs
Retired FedEx Captain

.....Ideally, the instruction could be done in another RV7A and spare my aircraft the wear and tear of instruction.

As gmcjetpilot explained, this is a sticking point. The FARs forbid the use of EAB aircraft for compensation or hire, so unless the cfi is free, the fars say he may not furnish the airplane. Fortunately the faa will issue a waiver (‘LODA’) to allow this, specifically and only for transition training in type. The LODA is not difficult to obtain. However, the other issue, insurance, is more problematic. Insurance to cover a cfi’s airplane bring used to give instruction is expensive. I know a number of cfi’s who have stopped transition training due to this cost (that includes me). It’s often more practical for the new part-owner to furnish his airplane for the dual, since his insurance will dictate the instruction needed anyway.

I do appreciate the education concerning the ramifications of training and insurance for experimental aircraft. I just don't think i can bear to put this pristine 7A through all the touch and go/stop and go rigors. Brakes, tires and wheel pans which are much too close to the tire.

Did I read somewhere that there is a Vans training facility in Oregon at the factory?..

Did I read somewhere that there is a Vans training facility in Oregon at the factory?..

Mike Segar (spelling?) is a cfi near Vans in Oregon, and he has some access to Vans' demonstrator aircraft for giving dual transition training, as well as his own aircraft.

Yes Bob, I found the Vans Training website..Looks like there are several instructors offering training in their own aircraft. Thanks for the tip.

TC

Chris Droege RV-7A transition training

I flew out to Boise for transition training with Chris a few years ago. He has a LODA for training in his beautiful 7A & a very well-organized syllabus for the transition. It was a few hours of ground and I think about 5 hours in the plane over a weekend.

https://www.letsflyrvtraining.com/

Highly recommended!

Back