What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone leave Long Body Mooney for RV-10?

irishpilot

I'm New Here
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm a current owner of a 2000 Mooney Bravo and am looking to make the jump to a flying RV-10. I've read as much as I can find on the RV-10 and I like the idea of flying four humans, bags and full fuel. My Bravo only has 860# of UL, so two-hour legs are all I can really plan for with the family.

I've seen a few posts comparing an RV-10 to older Mooney's but I'm looking to see if anyone misses the extra baggage space and high alt capability of an Acclaim/Ovation/Bravo when they switched to an RV-10.

BTW, I just got a flight in an RV-10 this weekend and that takeoff put the grin on, that's for sure! It's a great handling and nice flying plane. My hat's off to all those on this forum who are building them!

Welcome to VAF

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

BTW, I just got a flight in an RV-10 this weekend and that takeoff put the grin on, that's for sure! It's a great handling and nice flying plane. My hat's off to all those on this forum who are building them!

Ryan, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Loved our 10---great plane with no bad habits.

I have some insights that may be helpful?? I came out of a J model (not a long body) into the 10. LOVE the 10 much better! My friend that flys an Acclaim (and my 10) prefers the 10. He flew me out in the Acclaim to Alabama to pick my 10 up from paint. We flew back following same IFR path (in IMC). Here’s my take from that one trip:
Useful load + for RV10
Comfort of cabin + for RV10
Cruise speed + for Acclaim (BUT, with a heavy 42 knot headwind coming home, only beat me home by about 15 minutes). Speed is different, but unless it’s a really long trip, may not matter that much.
Economy + RV10 (169 ktas @ 11.7 gph)

As far as space, watch this video from flying Saturday. I took 1 seat out of RV10 and had plenty of room for mission. https://youtu.be/Aedg5i5ZSog

I live in New Braunfels ( not too far from you). If you want to see more RV10’s, PM me. There are 3 at KBAZ.

I've seen many 10s up close and rode in one. I owned a Mooney Acclaim for 8 years and loved it. However, if I were to go back to a 4-seater, I'd probably opt for a 10. One thing I've learned from my 8 is that cost of ownership is MUCH lower for non-certified aircraft.

I have some insights that may be helpful?? I came out of a J model (not a long body) into the 10. LOVE the 10 much better! My friend that flys an Acclaim (and my 10) prefers the 10. He flew me out in the Acclaim to Alabama to pick my 10 up from paint. We flew back following same IFR path (in IMC). Here’s my take from that one trip:
Useful load + for RV10
Comfort of cabin + for RV10
Cruise speed + for Acclaim (BUT, with a heavy 42 knot headwind coming home, only beat me home by about 15 minutes). Speed is different, but unless it’s a really long trip, may not matter that much.
Economy + RV10 (169 ktas @ 11.7 gph)

As far as space, watch this video from flying Saturday. I took 1 seat out of RV10 and had plenty of room for mission. https://youtu.be/Aedg5i5ZSog

I live in New Braunfels ( not too far from you). If you want to see more RV10’s, PM me. There are 3 at KBAZ.

Thanks Randy! Nice video editing as well. My wife and I like taking or 9 and 7-year-olds skiing, beach trips, and camping. I think the dimensions of a 10 with the seats up is just a tad smaller than my Bravo, but I don't think it's by much. The Bravo is rated at 21 cu/ft of space.

I agree with all your +s and what I'm finding is I don't fly my family in icing where my Bravo's FIKI comes in to play. I love having the turbo in the mtns, but shock-cooling, spoilers, turbo cool down periods, etc. is a factor. PM sent!

I've seen many 10s up close and rode in one. I owned a Mooney Acclaim for 8 years and loved it. However, if I were to go back to a 4-seater, I'd probably opt for a 10. One thing I've learned from my 8 is that cost of ownership is MUCH lower for non-certified aircraft.

Thanks Joe. My Bravo's first year mx catch-up was around $10k, and the annuals usually fall between $2.5-4k.

Back