-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM

The info I published came from the tech manager at a paint manufacturer in the UK.

Donated in 2020
Old 08-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Default Call it an intellectual pursuit . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike newall View Post
The info I published came from the tech manager at a paint manufacturer in the UK.
Mike, I take no issue with your statement or experience. I have searched extensively but not found any paint testing that has shown any available primer that equals the corrosion resistance of the zinc chromate on 2024. Plenty of primers work very well on 6061 as it is not that prone to corrosion anyway, alloys with copper are another matter.

So if you can reference any test reports for an alternative then please post or PM.

Thanks.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Default Zinc Phosphate instead of chromate?

Hey, all. Just getting started with an RV-7 here. Has anyone tried zinc phosphate instead of chromate? I bought a couple rattle cans of TEMPO primer from SkyGeek. I was on the fence about spending the money for a spray rig, but I don't plan on painting the plane myself, so didn't see an immediate justification. However, with the larger pieces of the plane, it looks like it'd take a *lot* of rattle cans!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:18 PM

Probably a little late, but I tried the Zinc Phosphate. Neither here nor there, wasn't hugely impressed, but wasn't anything wrong with it either. My plane has different primer at every stage. Tail is hardware store rattle can for mating surfaces. Can't remember the brand. Wing I started with Zinc Chromate, toxicity scared me, so tried Zinc Phosphate and then Zinc Oxide. The zinc based primers didn't seem terribly tough, and scratched easily. Fuselage is getting epoxy primer.

So far, epoxy primer is the toughest and my favourite. I started the kit 10 years ago, stored in cool dry areas during the hiatus. The tail looks like it did the day I worked on it. 10 years with mating surfaces only, and not even a change to the shiny. Maybe all the effort and money with fancy primer is a waste of time. Suppose I'll find out eventually.

FWIW, I bought the fancy epoxy primer from the mechanics at work. They alumiprep and alodine everything before epoxy priming. I suppose it's the belt, suspenders and duct tape approach. Those planes get soaked in rain storms, fly though nasty weather, doused in de-ice fluid, land on soggy runways. When the hangar is full, sit outside all day in thunderstorms. Jonny Q. Public tracks mud, snow and grime that settles in the belly. Last week a passenger peed on the floor. A much harsher environment than (hopefully) most RVs see.
Fuselage started
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2021
Old 03-28-2021, 09:13 AM

I was unaware there were so many options. When I replaced my seat rails in my Cherokee years ago, it was:

1. Clean and scrub.

2. Alumiprep.

3. Rinse.

4. Alodine.

5. Zinc Chromate or epoxy primer.

Corrosion issues can be expensive down the road.