What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Materials list to build WH-00125 harness

FastFreddy

I'm New Here
As the title,
Is there a materials list detailing wire size/type and connector types for the WH-00125 harness available?

Also the same for any other harnesses would be useful.

Thanks
F

You'll have to ask Stein, they build them for Van's and if you don't want them to make your harness, i'm sure they'll sell you the materials

I did my own WH-00125

I bought all of the stock materials from electronics suppliers and constructed a wiring layout board to build my WH-00125.

All in all it turned out to be more time and effort than I thought it would be. Took me about two months to do the actual construction after I figured everything out (not full time) and I probably saved a bit - not sure of the actual savings. Now that Stein has had a few more years to address their design of the kits, I would give one of their options serious consideration - IF they are still offered.

When I did it about two - three years ago Stein did offer three options; 1) a fully complete harness, 2) a kit with wire cut to length, connectors, and I guess - instructions, and 3) a package of the raw materials. When completed, installed, and I began burn testing everything that I connected - it worked, and I only had 1 more thing I had to wire in, that was a power wire to the Garmin heated pitot.

What I can offer now is to allow about 6" more length to all of the wires that extend up into the panel area. And, study the wiring harness diagram and identify any additional wire runs for future items that might get installed - it is a big job to run those wires after everything is buttoned up in the cockpit fuselage belly. If you go with a Stein option try to confirm with them that adequate lenght is a feature of what they offer.

Wiring harness

If you don't mind going straight stock to include stock landing lights, stock pitot tube set-up (ground at the instrument), strobes not grounded at the panel, etc., Stein is a good time saver. They do great work. I had several mods and it was a pain to add wiring and probably if I had to do it again would make my own. If they sell the parts at a decent price might be a good option.

Yeah, I think mines going to be rather custom, so I'm going to build it myself.
Parts ordered from Stein.

Thanks
F

I had sticker shock at the price of the harness so I bought materials and did it myself. I saved 700 dollars and lost a month +. Typical homebuilt trade off.

Back