What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tightening Air Compressor Belt

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
It's a small step for most of you, but after 20 years of dreaming, my shop is being set up to receive my 9A tail kit! I planned to just use my 30 gallon compressor that has served me well over the years, but it recently gave up on me. I found an absolute screaming deal on a beautiful 80 gallon compressor on Craigslist, so I figured a little overkill never hurt anyone. :D

What is the secret to tensioning air compressor belts? Every time I get it to the proper deflection using blocks of wood to tap in between the motor and pump, the motor is inevitably no longer parallel to the flywheel. Is there any easier way? It has to be too tight to do with muscle power alone.

Jacking Bolts

Usually with any belt drive set-up like this, a set of jacking bolts near the motor hold-down bolts is the solution. They can be individually moved to ensure the belt tension is correct, and the pulleys are parallel.

Depending on the size of the compressor, and your welding abilities, this might be easier said than done. By Jacking bolt, normally these are threaded tabs welded to the base, with the bolt and a locknut used in them. You may get away with just tack-welding a nut on it's side to give you the same effect.

Back