What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Android Tablet and Software Alternative to iPad and Foreflight?

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
There is a great current thread on iPad flight applications. I did not want to hijack it. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=182743

• Anyone using an Android Tablet?
  • Any software for android that competes with the Fore-flight and FlyQ?
  • Has anyone semi permanent mounted their iPad in their panel as primary NAV?

If there is something close to iPad and Foreflight or FlyQ for Nav, Weather, ADS-B and optional AHARS flight instrument display.....I've only used Android Tablets and Phones, and for PC/Laptop Windows (anything but Apple except two iPods).

Last edited:
AVARE

Been using Avare on a 7 inch Android tablet for several years and am very satisfied. It will do nav, ADS-B in weather and traffic, weight and balance, AHARS flight instrument display, etc. It switches automatically to the Airport Diagram after you land. Maybe not as feature rich as Foreflight, but it's completely free to download, use, and update. Avare gets the charts free from the FAA and makes them all available to download at no cost unlike some other programs. It's run as a charitable non-profit. I send them a donation every year.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Before spending anything, try FltPlan Go. It's free, and almost as good as ForeFlight (doesn't have quite as nice a UI, but it all works once you learn where things are).

I've been using it for 5 years on Android phones and first a Nexus 7 tablet and now a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8".

Agreed- fltplan go is my #1, however, Avare is fine- and depending on your ADS-B In, may present better.

I find wifi can be odd on Android with Ad Hoc type connections than iOS.

Bluetooth seems better.

7" tablets in the budget range, sub $150 may be a bit short on brightness, but my 2012 Samsung on Cyanogenmod is solid with Avare. A 2019 7" $100 Tab A is great on Bluetooth, not wifi, on stock ROM.

WingX runs on both iOS and Android, the Android version is limited compared to the iOS version, but it runs on cheap Android tablets

Page 8 on the guide bit.ly/2cvFoQB compares the two.

I use Garmin Pilot on a Samsung and an Asus; it is on my oneplus as well. I like the integration with the GTN. I am not a fan of apple. I use apple with Jepp and foreflight at work. I like the garmin pilot better than foreflight. I have had issues with all of the products on all platforms.

Before spending anything, try FltPlan Go. It's free, and almost as good as ForeFlight (doesn't have quite as nice a UI, but it all works once you learn where things are).

I've been using it for 5 years on Android phones and first a Nexus 7 tablet and now a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8".

+1 for FltPlan GO!

+1 for Avare. I run on a galaxy 8" tab I bought from costco for $129. It more than covers my needs for less than one year of the middle tier subscription on foreflight; not to mention the associated apple tax($$$).

+1 for FltPlan GO!
+2 for the FREE FltPlanGo app. My SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2 is mounted on the co-pilot side.

b4fb.jpg

It is an awesome combination, especially since all the updates are FREE and it works with just about any ADS-B in unit to include the DYNON SkyView WIFI module.

:cool:

Last edited:
I'm running iFly GPS on an iFly 740, Samsung TAB S2, and Windows desktop. One interface for all! I plan on the desktop, transfer the plan to the Tab S2, then in the cockpit I transfer it to the 740. The 740 is brighter than anything else, the TAB S2 can connect to anything anywhere. Works for me.

+2 for the FREE FltPlanGo app. My SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2 is mounted on the co-pilot side.

b4fb.jpg

It is an awesome combination, especially since all the updates are FREE and it works with just about any ADS-B in unit to include the DYNON SkyView WIFI module.

And I should have also mentioned the companion FltPlan.com website. I do most of my flight planning there. The flight plans download easily to my tablet via WiFi. At the aircraft, the plans upload easily to Skyview via the local Dynon WiFi.

Another vote for Garmin Pilot running on an Android tablet from a longtime user. I like the ability to plan a flight at home then transfer the plan to my new G3X when I get to the hangar.
Admittedly, I have been leaving the tablet at home lately, just using the G3X. Confession #2, I'm too thrifty to buy 2 database subscriptions every year.

Garmin Pilot is very close now...

Garmin Pilot has come a long way and has features that IMO are better than ForeFlight...and works on Android too!

I manage a couple dozen iPad mini 5's running ForeFlight in our flight program and they work fantastically. I also have 4 iPad mini 5's running ForeFlight only (they are locked down so that when you turn them on they boot directly to ForeFlight and that's all), that I have configured to access our onboard internet (hard wired) to afford us near real time internet based weather in flight, which also works amazingly well.

I do have a Garmin Pilot subscription (benefit of managing our pilot tech) I test right along side FF (benefit of managing our pilot tech) and I don't think you can go wrong either way. Neither of them are free, but there are quite a few that are that could also work well depending on what your requirements are.

My vote would be:
1. ForeFlight - iOS only
2. Garmin Pilot - iOS and Android
3. Any other free one that meets your requirements - iOS and Android

I recently wrote a mission specific iOS flight calculator for our program, called the E6BVD :), and have been thinking about working on a full EFB in my spare time, if I had any...

Last edited:
FltPlanGO works for me. I've mounted a Samsung S2 7" tablet on my side of the cockpit and a 7" Samsung Tab A on my wife's side of the cockpit. Both work very well, although graphics functions (panning, zooming) are slower on the Tab A. I store all the chart data on internal SD cards as I carry the entire chart package for North America (VFR & TACS) as well as all of the instrument charts for Canada on the device.

FltPlanGO is a particular bargain for Canadians. While the FAA makes chart data available for free, Nav Canada does not. This Canadian chart data is provided at zero cost by FltPlanGO, making it the only source of free nav data for Canadian airspace.

What Samsung Tablet is required and which one do you all recommend. There is a crazy number of models.

The current crop in order: Tab A, Tab S5e, Tab 4 and Tab 6. What is min RAM and Storage. I don't know how demanding the flight planning and inflight software is.... I'll have to check it out. If you want it also for entertainment you might want more tablet....

EDIT: I had an online chat with Samsung. Told them what I wanted to do with it. They recommended the newest Tab A. or the S2, even though it is out of production! Good for them. There no reason to get a S4 or S6 which starts to get near iPad prices. Games or watching movies, better sound sound, big screen, Pen and keyboard the S4 and S6 with all the bells and whistles is the way to go. For just aviation use the Tab A and S2 seem to be recommended. Agree other Tablet suggestions?

Also what is best ADS-B receiver? Stratus 3, Levil Astro, Dynon Drx (no AHRA). Seems like the Astro is not working with Android but is being updated to fix that. I also understand the Stratus 1 and 2 work only with Fore-flight.

Last edited:
What Samsung Tablet is required and which one do you all recommend. There is a crazy number of models.
IMO you can't get better than a SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2. Get the 32Gb unit then add a 128Gb micro SD card and you will have more than enough memory. I have over 40hrs of music and just about every equipment/user manual for my airplane on it.

Also what is best ADS-B receiver? Stratus 3, Levil Astro, Dynon Drx (no AHRA). Seems like the Astro is not working with Android but is being updated to fix that. I also understand the Stratus 1 and 2 work only with Fore-flight.
Any STRATUX unit will work great with the SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2 tablet running FltPlanGo. I have seen them on line as cheap as $70.

Last edited:
Sunlight readable

How do these android tablets compare to the ipad in full sun? That's my main complaint about ipad, and why I'm looking to see if there is a better android tablet. Seems hard to get detailed screen brightness data from the net.

Amazon Fire

Don't use Amazon Fire. Bought one for Sweetie to play her games, e-mail, etc. I hacked it to run Google Play Store. Downloaded Avare. GPS wont locate. Oh well. It was a gift for Sweetie. I removed Avare.

+1 for Avare. I run on a galaxy 8" tab I bought from costco for $129. It more than covers my needs for less than one year of the middle tier subscription on foreflight; not to mention the associated apple tax($$$).

+ many for Avare. I started using it at its inception. Have it on a Samsung 8" S2 which is the second tablet so you can imagine it's been a while. Early on, the software was changing FAST and it was sometimes hard to keep up because the manual was way behind. I joined the forum to keep up. It has been stable for a number of years now and as a result I have not been to the forum for years.

In regards to screen brightness, it is rarely a problem since the device is not needed for VFR. I would not necessarily recommend as single nav source for bright sunlight VFR although it has been rare not to be able to see the screen even on a blazing day just by orienting the screen to shade it slightly.

Sunlight readable

The Samsung Tab S2 is brighter/easier to read than the early iPad Mini was. The Tab A is about the same as the iPad - not as good as the Tab S2.
Nothing else compares to the iFly 740 for screen brightness and readability in the full sun. YMMV

Avare with Stratux ADS-B in on either my Android phone or Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

Phone works so well on a simple mount with USB power, I rarely use the tablet. Saves a little room in my -4 and is remarkably readable.

I've been using that combination on every flight for about 3 years now. Used another Android tablet before that in my prior airplane.

How do these android tablets compare to the ipad in full sun? That's my main complaint about ipad, and why I'm looking to see if there is a better android tablet. Seems hard to get detailed screen brightness data from the net.
There is no comparing any iThingy brightness with the SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB S2. The TAB S2 is much brighter and it has never overheated on me at any time, especially while flying.

The Samsung Tab S2 is brighter/easier to read than the early iPad Mini was. The Tab A is about the same as the iPad - not as good as the Tab S2.
Nothing else compares to the iFly 740 for screen brightness and readability in the full sun. YMMV

I'll be shooting some GPS (VFR) approaches with the 740 tomorrow to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Well... It's nice to know others are having good luck with the S2. It reinforces the choice.

Also using a Galaxy Tab S2 8" for FltPlanGo here. I clip it to my kneeboard, and power it from a USB cigarette-lighter plug. Brightness and readability are top notch, even in bright sun.

I use a Stratux with mine for ADS-B in, I built it from the kit available online and have upgraded it along the way so it has all the latest radios, AHRS chip, and OLED display. Anyone who's built (or who maintains) an RV can assemble a Stratux.

I use a Stratux with mine for ADS-B in, I built it from the kit available online and have upgraded it along the way so it has all the latest radios, AHRS chip, and OLED display. Anyone who's built (or who maintains) an RV can assemble a Stratux.
Good tip Snowflak. [edit] I found web page, links to DIY (Youtube) and parts? Parts as full kits are sold out, but looks like you can go ala carte.

Do you all recommend 8", 9.7" or 10.1"...... It seems like the bigger Tabs would be harder to fit into the cockpit.

Last edited:
Galaxy Tab "A"

Good tip Snowflak. [edit] I found web page, links to DIY (Youtube) and parts? Parts as full kits are sold out, but looks like you can go ala carte.

Do you all recommend 8", 9.7" or 10.1"...... It seems like the bigger Tabs would be harder to fit into the cockpit.

Also, anyone have a Pirep on the latest model Galaxy Tab "A"?

8" completely satisfactory for me as elect flight bag. But I do have 2 EFIS screens in the panel that aid the awareness thing. Flight use is map enroute as backup that is rarely referenced even though it is always programmed and running, approach plates and a writing tablet for clearances.

Last edited:
I originally had an I pad. Couldn't see the darn thing in sunlight. Had to memorize where to put my finger on anything that was colored blue. Then I got a nexus 9. Its an android. "That" I can see just fine in the sunlight. But its a BIG sucker at 6" by 9". The whole right half of my instrument panel was empty, so I had room for it.

I run I fly gps on a Nexus 7.

Perfect sunlight readability. Great software ( never used any thing else but can’t imagine anything else you would need). Seamless updating. Reasonable price. Integrates well with ADSB

The Nexus is old but is a great fit/size in the cockpit. Battery fine for back to back 2.5 hour x-cntry flights. It is sometimes a bit glitchy booting up, but being available for $100 all day long, I just carry two - cheap backup if it’s giving me trouble.

Last edited:
I have the 8" SAMSUNG and I find it perfect for cockpit use. Actual tablet size depends on YOUR preference. Fly with a borrowed tablet and you will quickly find out which size works best for you.

Last edited:
I run I fly gps on a Nexus 7.

Perfect sunlight readability. Great software ( never used any thing else but can?t imagine anything else you would need). Seamless updating. Reasonable price. Integrates well with ADSB

The Nexus is old but is a great fit/size in the cockpit. Battery fine for back to back 2.5 hour x-cntry flights. It is sometimes a bit glitchy booting up, but being available for $100 all day long, I just carry two - cheap backup if it?s giving me trouble.

My old eyes find the Nexus 7 to be a bit small. I use the Nexus 9. Fits nicely in my RV-12 and my single seat Panther. Been using it almost 5 years now and, as Gary says, it works great.

Also, anyone have a Pirep on the latest model Galaxy Tab "A"?

I have both a 2017 Tab S2 and a 2019 Tab A, both in 8". The S2 is a little wider than the A, and considerably brighter and easier to read in the cockpit. I didn't expect that. I only got the A because it was on sale (black Friday) when I needed a new phone, and it has cellular data which I thought would be great on x-countries. It is, but is harder to see. My wife (co-pilot/navigator hates the A and likes the S2.

Others love their A's - YMMV.

I've used a larger iPad (don't know the exact dimension, one of the earlier ones before the "mini" came out), a Nexus 7", and my current Samsung 8". The Nexus and Samsung are physically about the same size, most of the difference is the size of the bezel around the screen.

I was able to make the iPad work on my kneeboard, but it was larger than I thought comfortable. The Nexus and Samsung are almost the same width as the clipboard that came with my kneeboard, so they fit well.

If you're thinking about a RAM mount or a panel mount of some kind, you may be able to find a place where the larger screens fit well. I don't think I would bother. My other navigator is a Garmin Aera 660, and even it is adequately sized when it comes right down to it.

FltPlanGO is a particular bargain for Canadians. While the FAA makes chart data available for free, Nav Canada does not. This Canadian chart data is provided at zero cost by FltPlanGO, making it the only source of free nav data for Canadian airspace.

Now that FltPlan was bought by Garmin I hope they don't go charging you for those maps now, it's still Garmin after all.

I was just thinking about that this weekend. So this Samsung Tab A 2019 is better to read in the sunlight compared to the Mini?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W6KTCX...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Last edited:
Mine is an SM-T387V - I don't know what the difference is, but yes, it is easier to read than the mini.

I think for now I?ll stick to the iPad Air I have until I test it in flight in the new location. I was just thinking about replacing the mini because my mini is so old it won?t let me load any of the flight apps anymore.

very pleased with GPS (VFR) ILS approaches. the CDI makes me legal and can use the ifly 740 for assist if needed.

BTW: take a look a the iFly GPS REAL PLAN (beta). it will blow you away. great.

Was it a GPS (step down) or was it a GPS LPV or an ILS (vertical guidance) approach in VFR conditions? Which one?

Does IFly have a trial period to check it out or is it pay from day 1?

FWIW: NO PORTABLE GPS DEVICE IS LEGAL FOR IFR NAVIGATION. However, for "situation awareness" or in an emergency I would not hesitate to use one. ;)

FWIW: NO PORTABLE GPS DEVICE IS LEGAL FOR IFR NAVIGATION. However, for "situation awareness" or in an emergency I would not hesitate to use one. ;)

I'm flying the ILS on a certified CDI. WAAS signal is from certified Lynx transponder.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]Does IFly have a trial period to check it out or is it pay from day 1?[/QUOTE]

30 day free trial is standard.

I'm flying the ILS on a certified CDI. WAAS signal is from certified Lynx transponder.

This is nit-picking, but I don't think you meant a single word of this.
You were flying an ILS. You displayed the course deviation on a CDI which, if it was part of an EFIS, was almost certainly not "certified" (e.g., no TSO). But that's okay, none is required. The GPS-WAAS signal was coming from the GPS built into your Lynx transponder-ADSB-out system. This system is "certified" (e.g., conforms to a TSO) for transponders; but it most certainly does not conform to the TSO (145/146, I think) for a gps navigator. But that's okay too, as long as the ILS is primary guidance, and the gps is for "position awareness".

This is nit-picking, but I don't think you meant a single word of this.
You were flying an ILS. You displayed the course deviation on a CDI which, if it was part of an EFIS, was almost certainly not "certified" (e.g., no TSO). But that's okay, none is required. The GPS-WAAS signal was coming from the GPS built into your Lynx transponder-ADSB-out system. This system is "certified" (e.g., conforms to a TSO) for transponders; but it most certainly does not conform to the TSO (145/146, I think) for a gps navigator. But that's okay too, as long as the ILS is primary guidance, and the gps is for "position awareness".

ILS is the guidance. A certified CDI is all that is required. Approach plates for the 740 are included with my iFLY subscription, so no extra cost for me. The tablet shows the same info. A LOT of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
ILS is the guidance. A certified CDI is all that is required.

Okay, I'll say it again. For an ILS approach, a "certified" (your words) or TSO'd (my words) CDI is NOT required. There are 1000's of RV flying around using an "uncertified" or "not TSO'd" EFIS to display the CDI data.
Nothing wrong here, except you're overstating your case.

Okay, I'll say it again. For an ILS approach, a "certified" (your words) or TSO'd (my words) CDI is NOT required. There are 1000's of RV flying around using an "uncertified" or "not TSO'd" EFIS to display the CDI data.
Nothing wrong here, except you're overstating your case.

mine is the round style with the needles.

Back