What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ceiling forecast website

n981ms

Well Known Member
This is a good site for ceiling forecast.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/forecast/graphics/MAV/

However, what I really want to know for flight planning is: What is the likelihood of conditions being at or above my personal minimums?

This is cumbersome to get at with the above mentioned site. To get this information I must look at all of the listed altitudes and form my own composite.

Does anyone know of a better alternative?

This is a good site for ceiling forecast.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/forecast/graphics/MAV/

However, what I really want to know for flight planning is: What is the likelihood of conditions being at or above my personal minimums?

This is cumbersome to get at with the above mentioned site. To get this information I must look at all of the listed altitudes and form my own composite.

Does anyone know of a better alternative?

This site is useful for me

http://weathermeister.com/premium/home_base_menu.jsp

It is not free but provides information on a planned trip regarding VFR-IFR route conditions, winds aloft, freezing level, forecast plus notams.

A typical flight will have many pages to print if you are inclined to carry it all on the flight.

Foreflight has great weather Imagery, prog charts, and outlooks for various Zulu times. Like above, I also like Weathermeister

The Meister

I have been using WeatherMeister since Dan made it years ago. I love it, but, here in the last several months I've noticed that the winds aloft forecast have been woefully wrong. I'm wondering if they changed where they get their information. I know its magic but lately its not been even close.

OGIMET example

Here is an example of OGIMET's forecast for KRAP to KDEN. As you can see, it will also include the terrain. Worldwide database. This is run by a university researcher in Spain.

For route forecast, you just have to remember to write it in the format: KRAP_KDEN

2015-10-03%2009_36_38-Display%20GRAMET.png

Last edited:
No matter what I do on this one, I just getting "no grib data available:

But your example looks great.

Does the example work for you? You can try just one airport to get the visual forecast for that airport (must be airport with wx forecast facility).

You should use an underscore to link your origin and destination airports. Also both airports must have weather forecast facilities such as a Terminal Area Forecast. Pick a close airport that has a wx forecast if yours does not.

Last edited:
Here is an example of OGIMET's forecast for KRAP to KDEN. As you can see, it will also include the terrain. Worldwide database. This is run by a university researcher in Spain.

For route forecast, you just have to remember to write it in the format: KRAP_KDEN

2015-10-03%2009_36_38-Display%20GRAMET.png

How do you advance the date to the current date? It looks like a neat site but it's showing 06/10/2015 as the date and I don't see how to advance get the date to today. The Start & End entry boxes seem to just be in hours.

How do you advance the date to the current date? It looks like a neat site but it's showing 06/10/2015 as the date and I don't see how to advance get the date to today. The Start & End entry boxes seem to just be in hours.

European style date - 6/10/15 is October 6 2015!

TB

Back