What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti skid wing walk and N-number decal

Kato's 8

Well Known Member
Hey Vaf! Hope everyone has rested up following Osh 2014!
Question, should that black wing anti skid material be postponed until airplane is painted or should it be installed while plane is flown unpainted for awhile? Not sure how hard it is to remove.

What do folks use for temporary N numbers I while waiting for paint? All I can think of is those vinyl stickers in the mailbox isle at Home Depot.

Thanks!

For me I waited on the wing walk material until after the paint job.

As for N-Numbers, I bought some from Aircraft Spruce and they came as individual letters. Getting the alignment perfect was difficult. They were easy to peel off at the time of painting with a bit of heat. The second time around I bought N numbers from Chief Aircraft. Those were already aligned as one graphic to apply. It was much easier for the same cost.

Last edited:
Wait

Don't put the wing walk material on yet - but please be careful - the wing is slippery. At Reno, I saw the Thunder Mustang guys use a rubber backed bathroom mat to get in: no slipping at all. Sounds like a safe alternative till you get to paint - or wrap.

N numbers: some DARs require the real thing (or real looking) be on the plane for the inspection; masking tape numbers are not gonna cut it. Sign companies can make a set for you with 'less sticky' stuff for just that reason - might as well ask 'em.

Mr Farnsworth can get it all set up - as wild as you can imagine - when he wraps your bird.

Carry on!
Mark

I used some anti skid tape that my kid had left over from a skateboard, applied it in 4 or 5 narrow strips to the bare metal.

I had a local sign company cut N numbers out, quick easy to apply.

Thankyou for the advice! I liked the bath mat suggestion too. Might just try that or might go with some thin strips suggestion. Or if Im feeling comical, might try those dasey bath tub stickers. Just kidding.
Ill try a local sign shop for N numbers. Will 3" high be legal?
Bill

Back