What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Champion 48110-1 Oil Filters

I ordered some from Spruce before Oshkosh. They claimed they were expecting them 7/28, but I haven’t seen any emails from them yet for me to pick them up.

If I understand some conversations I heard correctly, Tempest is and has been making filters at the same rate as always, and shipping them. The problem is that Champion’s output dropped to zero, and they were half the supply chain - which makes Tempests hard to find in stock.

Tempest is trying to up their output to meet demand, but said it will take time, so be patient (their words).

My personal take based on empirical evidence is that customers have been stocking up which continues to choke the supply chain akin the "toilet paper phenomena" from ~3 years ago. If people were reasonable and bought what they need for the next 2 months, not 2 years, we wouldn't have the supply issue. It's a vicious cycle - the more people panic and bid up the quicker any stock sells and availability takes a hit. Think of others, be courteous and buy what you need in the short term.

My personal take based on empirical evidence is that customers have been stocking up which continues to choke the supply chain akin the "toilet paper phenomena" from ~3 years ago.

I buy the six pack of filters to get the price discount. Not to stock up.

Purchase quantity not the problem . . . it is production.

My personal take based on empirical evidence is that customers have been stocking up which continues to choke the supply chain akin the "toilet paper phenomena" from ~3 years ago. If people were reasonable and bought what they need for the next 2 months, not 2 years, we wouldn't have the supply issue. It's a vicious cycle - the more people panic and bid up the quicker any stock sells and availability takes a hit. Think of others, be courteous and buy what you need in the short term.

If everyone bought for 2 yrs, it would not change a thing, production rate would not need to change - - if everybody suddenly buys all at once -now we have a problem. A nice lady stopped by my hangar and gave me 4 she no longer needed.

ETA… October

I spoke with Champion at the show. They’re having post-Covid issues just like everyone else (or so it seems). They told me to expect availability in October 2022.

oil filters...ugh..

You can use a WIX 51085 if you want to. Been using those for 10 years/700 flight hours since new (550-N) - no worries. Heck - I also use the automotive 3/4 turn and stop method.

If you want, WIX has a slightly longer filter that can be used if needed.

Filters

I know that the K&N HP2004 filter has been used for many years and it has a hole drilled in the big nut on top for safety wire. I’ve never used one but I’m thinking of trying one at 15.99 vs tempest.

I know that the K&N HP2004 filter has been used for many years and it has a hole drilled in the big nut on top for safety wire. I’ve never used one but I’m thinking of trying one at 15.99 vs tempest.

Looks like the K&N and WIX filter have a lower pressure for the bypass than the Tempest…8-11 psi vs. 12-14 psi, respectively. Anyone worried about sending unfiltered oil to their engine? Also, are those using the WIX or K&N just using a threaded adaptor to convert female to make threads?

I did adapt to the HP2004 /Wix 51068/NapaGold 1068 via a red loctited 3/4-16 male/male from a used filter.

I have an HP-3003 if anyone is nearby, it's too long.

Bypass in the OFA, and filter bypass in the filter series above.

Watch the K&Ns. They were Made in USA, as was my last Amazon purchase, but the walls are thinner than Wix and Wix says burst of 275psi.

K&N is now South Korean owned after a Mexico plant period, Only Made in USA for me.

Tempest 110's from ACS

I ordered 3 Tempest 110's from ACS May 8th, when it said "No Stock" they shipped June 28th and arrived 3 days later. At the time my family had 3 RV's, and no filters, now we have only 2 RV's with 1 extra filter. If anyone needs one desperately and is willing to ship back a replacement in the future, I will be happy to send one out to them at NO Charge. (Honor System). Please Serious need only, first come / first served. Just replace it when you can! PM Me, Ed S.

Back