What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Topeka, KS

eison

I am heading back to Topeka, KS to spend some time with my family for the fourth of July. I am trying to decide where to land. I have the obvious options of Billard or Forbes Field.

My Dad lives in Berryton, so Forbes is the easy choice based on location, but my guess is that Billard is the more active GA airport.

My Dad also mentioned that there was a community airport off of 45th street near him. Turf runway and hanger homes is what it sounded like. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks In Advance

Eric Ison
Grumman Tiger - Flying

RV 10 - in the garage...

Either Forbes or Billard will work, although I would guess that Billard would be a cheaper place to leave your plane; their FBO is locally owned versus the Million Air jet-set FBO at Forbes. However, Million Air does have good cookies! :)

good luck,
mcb

Check current costs for sure

We landed at Forbes last year. Very nice facilities and service but at a price. The following paragraph was copied from my trip writeup:

We flew up to Mitchell, South Dakota from Arkansas on Friday. The plane was near race ready, which meant our fuel was limited to the standard tanks. I had planned to refuel at Omaha but the low ceilings and visibility caused me to change and land at Topeka. Everything went well but the fuel was over $6 per gallon. When I am going to the AirVenture Cup I do what I have to do to get there and participate. The race staff was there and we got our name tags but we could not actually check in until noon on Saturday.​

Bob Axsom

The Strip is Sunset Air Park
Identifier is 90KS

Greg Hunsicker lives there with an RV-8, Give him a call
at: 785-231-8502

I've been into Billard a few times, and currently have the family RV8 there in the paint shop. Nice, small towered airport, currently under some taxiway construction. Kansas Air Center is a nice FBO with really helpfull employees.

Never have flown into forbes...

Buena Terra

Sunset Strip is just south of Topeka, near Forbes, however Buena Terra is near the "other" 45th street North of Topeka. Sunset's runway is a little smoother and wider than BT, but its hard to beat the jocularity at BT. Well, that and you would have to put up with Greg at Sunset (see post #4). Also, on the morning of the 4th we will be having our annual pancake feed.

Here's a couple of pix:

IMG_0129-1.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0137a.jpg

Seriously, Greg has super -8 and either field would be glad to have you.
Give either a call.

Steve's number is
(785)221-6545

Back