What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need overnight parking recomendations SoCAL

dwilson

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I will be flying my RV9A from Portland, OR to Southern California next week. Need to figure out where to land and tie down.

John Wayne airport seems closest, but with a $28 handling fee and a $44 overnight fee I am not excited about that option.

My destination is the Mission Viejo area. I am considering Corona. Any advice?

Thanks,
Duane

Think Corona is a good choice, cheap fuel midfield and plenty of tiedown in transient at the East end. Gate closes at night, check with the manager about access times without a gate card. Airport info and Mgr. contact info http://www.coronapilots.com/noise_abate.html Depending on the time of day the drive to and from Orange County can be a bear. Avoid West bound in the morning and East bound in the late afternoon if possible. Might also consider Fullerton, Control Tower and gates, don't know about tie down fees.

El Monte (EMT)

I flew in there every day to work for 15 years and never had a problem. They have a control tower and you can get in there without passing through Burbank Class C or Los Angeles Class B. The transient tiedown row is the row north of the self service fuel pump. Enterprise supplies cars through the FBO adjacent. Fuel prices were always much lower than John Wayne where I had my plane based and the tiedown was $5 or $6 per night (pay airport administration when you leave) there is no charge if you do not stay overnight.

When you come out of the Airport parking lot turn right and head south. When you pass under the I-10 overpass move over to the left lane and make the immediate left turn to get up on I-10 eastbound. Stay to the right because not too far down the road you will come to the I-605 southbound which is a right turn. Make the turn and continue to the I-5 (called the Santa Ana Freeway). All exits to the I-5 are made before crossing it and they are off to the right. This one can be a little confusing but you want to be going toward Santa Ana which is to the left (LA is to the right) and you stay to the left of the exit lanes. Once you are on the San Diego freeway (I-5) it will pass between Laguna Hills on the right and Mission Viejo on the left. There are several exits and it is best if you know which one you want to take. The first is Lake Forest, then El Toro, then Alicia Parkway, then La Paz, then Oso Parkway and finally Avery Parkway.

Good luck

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Fullerton

I'm am based out of KFUL and wish I could offer you hangar space, but I share it with another plane. But if you buy any amount of gas from AFI, you can park there for free. Friendly people there. I have had good luck with them. I think transient parking with the airport is around $7/night.

KAJO is a good choice, but the only problem with Corona is the 91 freeway depending on where you're going and what time. Fullerton is fairly convienient to most of OC

Last edited:
Transient hangar space at F70 (French Valley) wanted

We visit grandkids in Temecula 3 or 4 times each summer. Fly the RV7 from Washington and stay 3 to 7 days. Then fly home. Looking for occasional shared, covered space with plenty of notice. Can pay the going rate plus-also trade for good red wine or RV rides (not concurrently, :)

I second the Fullerton recommendation. Closer to MV and without the risk of the jams on the 91. I can't offer you hangar space because I too share a hangar, but there are plenty of tie-downs.

Need occasional overnight space at F70, French Valley

We visit grandkids in Temecula 3 or 4 times each summer. Fly the RV7 from Washington and stay 3 to 7 days. Then fly home. Looking for occasional shared, covered space with plenty of notice. Can pay the going rate plus-also trade for good red wine or RV rides (not concurrently,

Need Transient Hangar parking French Valley (F70) 23 Aug - 30 Aug

We visit grandkids in Temecula 3 or 4 times each summer. Fly the RV7 from Washington and stay 3 to 7 days. Then fly home. Looking for temporary shared, covered space with plenty of notice. Can pay the going rate plus-also trade for good red wine. And enjoy sharing RV rides.

Back