What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the Clear Day

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Saturday, 3/10/18, was a rare clear day in both Western and Eastern Washington allowing for easy travel over the big pile of rocks separating the two. Awesome visibility and only a little bumpiness down low in the vicinity of Richland. The route took us from Arlington to Richland, to Moses Lake, to Stehekin, and back to Arlington. About 365 NM in 2.7 hrs (my flyin' buddy made it in a little less [his -8 is faster]).

The video is a little long, so you may want to make some popcorn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRHZH5uXBM

Steve,

On a clear day in the Northwest it simply doesn't get better. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis after returning from Vietnam and had the pleasure of flying much of that countryside in an AH-1G Cobra. My C-120 was tied down at Spanaway and I preferred flying the Cobra over the rocks since I could put it down in a smaller area. In the early 90's I attended the Arlington EAA regional air show with the RV4 and always thought that airport had a great venue.

Thanks for posting and I enjoyed the sound track as well.

Cheers, Hans

6'6" "Slim" Larson was the airport manager at Spanaway back in 1972. Even then the airport was under pressure for development. I'm glad I had a chance to visit in '94 on the way to Arlington with the -4.

Cheers, Hans

Wow! Spectacular. The Pacific NW with the sun shining is Heaven on Earth.

When I'm lucky enough to fly on a day like that, the words, "THIS is why we fly!" repeat themselves in my head.

Thank you for sharing!

Yes, we don't get a lot of days like this, but when we do...

I was going to start my condition inspection on this particular day, but a friend convinced me to put it off a day.

Steve, we drove from Seattle to Levenworth on Saturday. What a great day. I would have rather been flying, but even driving was a treat. Nice video.

We where up that day a bit down south having the $100 hamburger at Independence, then a flying tour around Mt. Hood and back home in southern WA.
You could see most of the Cascades the length of two States, from Baker to Crater Lake.
At least 300 miles of visibility. Spectacular day.
Thanks for sharing.

Back