What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Faulty Narco NCS 812 Nav/Com

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys.

Any suggestions on how's the best way to go about fixing a blank screen on a Narco NCS 812? Set works fine but the display has gone on holiday!:-(

Thanks

Narco repairs

It's a common problem with them. You can buy parts on eBay. The display driver is relatively inexpensive however the display itself is over $200 and going up in price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Display-for-Narco-MK-12D-D-P-N-50401-0001-/131157812864

I just replaced the entire avionics stack in my Cardinal when the display in the Mk12D started to go out (again). The King transponder was dying too. The second Mk12D was fine (never had a single issue) but with the entire panel of mid eighties vintage, it was time for a complete upgrade. Glad I did it. The capabilities of the new equipment is like a magic in comparison. The pilot is now the weak point in the system. :eek:

If you want both Narcos I pulled (use one for parts), I'll make you a heck of a deal. But if you can afford it, I recommend biting the bullet and getting something newer, lighter, more reliable.

It is always about what you can afford, but pouring ANY money into old avionics is just putting off the inevitable. Narco has been out of business for quite some time and most avionics shops will not touch them. Upgrade sooner than later, weight savings, panel space and reliability are 3 good reasons.

It's a common problem with them. You can buy parts on eBay. The display driver is relatively inexpensive however the display itself is over $200 and going up in price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Display-for-Narco-MK-12D-D-P-N-50401-0001-/131157812864

I just replaced the entire avionics stack in my Cardinal when the display in the Mk12D started to go out (again). The King transponder was dying too. The second Mk12D was fine (never had a single issue) but with the entire panel of mid eighties vintage, it was time for a complete upgrade. Glad I did it. The capabilities of the new equipment is like a magic in comparison. The pilot is now the weak point in the system. :eek:

If you want both Narcos I pulled (use one for parts), I'll make you a heck of a deal. But if you can afford it, I recommend biting the bullet and getting something newer, lighter, more reliable.

Hi Carl.

Thanks for the advice & offer. I don't really want to upgrade the panel, I kinda like it old school cause after 40 years driving planes it's my little world I like to remain in whilst the rest of the world has gone & got itself all in a hurry...lolol
I don't like the TV screens (that's my day job so have no choice), life is so much simpler:) Am happy to change out the digital display strip, it's lasted a hundred years anyway:)

Back