What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing and taxi lights for dragger

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I'm a couple months from getting a 7 ready for phase 1. I've never owned a dragger and obviously landing and taxi lights must be different. I'm looking for cost effective led lighting with great illumination.

Thanks!

FlyLEDS Combo Light

I have a -4 with one of these Combo Lights in each wing. Lots of light for the current draw and I've had zero problems with the units after the few hundred hours I've got on them. I recommend them to everybody. Plus when I did have a problem (my own fault during the assembly of the lights), Paul is ABSOLUTELY second to none when it comes to customer service. Even being halfway around the world like he is!

https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Combo-Leading-Edge-Landing-Taxi-light/p/109859298/category=0

I have the taxi lights with the diffusers installed as per the pictures on his website and they work just fine. Plenty of light for me to see at night.

I second FlyLEDs. Excellent customer service, it was and fun and easy project to put together. Low voltage wire, so no real need to worry about interference, and if there is I was told easy solution is just run the ground back instead of doing it locally. The Works kit puts everything in the wing tips. 3 Big LEDs out there in a 1-2 combination. So aim 2 for takeoff, and the other one for taxi. Do this in both wings.

I would install FlyLEDs again. Good quality, good instructions, easy to fabricate, very responsive customer service, not pricey, Landing Lights are adjustable. It was one of the few things in my project that worked in the first place.

Assuming you already have the Nav/Strobe lights (like AeroLed from Van’s) the easiest and very effective way to go is to install a taxi and landing light on each wingtip, much like the Van’s landing light setup. Here however you do not use the standard Halogen lights. Use two of these on each wingtip, with the same hardware (springs) set up as the Van’s.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Single-Spotlight/p/108852015/category=0
Note the 30 degree angle option - you want two of those for your taxi lights.

Here is what it looks like back fitted on an RV-10 (single light as this is not a tail dragged).

Carl
DE5-E4766-A219-43-F1-95-B7-CC1553-BB743-F.jpg

Building an 8, I have my wings on order, and I want to do the FlyLed route. Do the Van’s lights come in the wing kit and should I delete them? Ot do the wing kits not come with lights?

Back