What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monkworkz Generator Installation

622BH

Well Known Member
After my AOG experience in Redding (KRDD), California, I have ordered the Monkworkz Backup Generator. UPS says it will be delivered Thursday.
I would love to see any photos of an installation in an RV-9A mounted on an IO-320.
I suppose an installation in an RV-7 would be just as good...

After reading your original post, I was going to suggest this but glad you are already consider it.
I’m have installed the ne and it is very easy, I’ll see s also great to work with but feel free to reach out if you have any questions

RV7:

i-L8XRKkH-X2.jpg

i-scjFBSn-X2.jpg

Twenty hours of flawless operation. I tapped two of the mounting holes on the controller to 10/32 and attached with adel clamps.

D3BA6F41-42C2-4AC5-A0F7-F973CCF8CF2D.jpg

Thanks!

Bavafa, I had thought about installing one when they first came on the market, but thought I would wait until the winter when flying was less likely. BUT, with that recent experience, I've pulled the timeline up significantly.
Thanks Walt & Larry for sharing your photos.
Much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

I read that article back when it came out. As I say, I thought I would wait until winter weather precluded a bunch of flying in the PNW. BUT, that one alternator failure, in the air, has caused me to pull the timeline forward.
Thanks to everyone for their input and photos.
I'll be taking the failed alternator to a repair facility near the house and ask for a full, detailed analysis of the failure. I'll be getting the failed components for photo purposes to post on the original AOG thread.

Monkworkz on order

After reading of your misfortune and ensuing ordeal to get a replacement installed, I decided to upgrade my Rv-10 with a Monkworkz generator.
I am not sure this is absolutely necessary but the MZ-30L should do nicely as a back up unit for my RV-10.
With everything on for normal flight, I draw about 25 amps and a bit over 30 with landing light and boost pump on.
MY PP alternator has been trouble free for 700 plus hours but peace of mind is what I am looking for.

https://monkworkz.com/?utm_source=kitplanes_magazine&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=mz-30l

Ernst

Good to hear you're thinking proactively, and if my little "adventure" encouraged you to install the Monkworkz Generator, then I've accomplished some benefit from it.
Normally, with a fully IFR equipped RV-9A - I usually leave the Landing Lights, NAV/Strobes on all the time, my system indicates around 20 Amps at cruising. Needless to say if the Generator comes on I'll be shedding some "unnecessary" load.
IF nothing else, I'll fly using the iPad and FlyQ as the EFIS. As long as the engine keeps running we should be able to get on the ground reasonably safely.
Thanks for letting us know your plan.

I was late

I was late in reading your first post.
I am in Concord and could have delivered a PP alternator to you the same day.
Glad you are up and running. I'll report on the Monkworz installation and flying experience in an new thread.

Looking forward to your install

Ernst, my Generator is due to be delivered Thursday, but I'm off to Europe for about a month. Won't be able to get to the installation until late October. I'll be looking forward to your installation write-up.
Paul had an excellent article in Homebuilt a couple months ago (see link above). Since we all see things with a unique perspective, you may have a slightly different experience from which we can all learn.

...I expect the Monkworkz product to kill most everything in the related market. Over 3X the output from essentially a self contained unit at only a marginal cost delta and slightly less weight. We'll see what the competition does to try and keep up.

The quote above is from a different thread I didn't want to derail but I'm wondering if anyone could provide a link(s) to some reading material regarding how one would go about adding a Monkworkz backup generator to a completed airplane that was built with a single alternator and battery? The Kitplanes article linked-to above describes replacing an existing back-up alternator (SD-8) with the Monkworkz.

I know there are a lot of variables but I'm wondering how straight forward (or not) this modification can be, with regard to integrating it into an existing electrical system?

The quote above is from a different thread I didn't want to derail but I'm wondering if anyone could provide a link(s) to some reading material regarding how one would go about adding a Monkworkz backup generator to a completed airplane that was built with a single alternator and battery? The Kitplanes article linked-to above describes replacing an existing back-up alternator (SD-8) with the Monkworkz.

I know there are a lot of variables but I'm wondering how straight forward (or not) this modification can be, with regard to integrating it into an existing electrical system?
I don't have any write ups but I did install one in a flying RV14A and the installation was very straightforward and relatively easy.
Installing the HW is basically mounting them so they are super easy but they need two cooling ports from your baffle area.
The electrical part was very easy. Once the generator is connected to the regulator, you have two connections to be made in the engine area. One goes to the ground and one goes to your main bus which the master solenoid is a good spot for that. Then you will need at least one small wire that goes to the cockpit to a ON-OFF switch so you have the ability to shut down the generator and probably some other small size wires to your EIFS, if you have one so you can get volts or Amps generated.

I don't have any write ups but I did install one in a flying RV14A and the installation was very straightforward and relatively easy.
Installing the HW is basically mounting them so they are super easy but they need two cooling ports from your baffle area.
The electrical part was very easy. Once the generator is connected to the regulator, you have two connections to be made in the engine area. One goes to the ground and one goes to your main bus which the master solenoid is a good spot for that. Then you will need at least one small wire that goes to the cockpit to a ON-OFF switch so you have the ability to shut down the generator and probably some other small size wires to your EIFS, if you have one so you can get volts or Amps generated.

Great info. Thanks very much!

You might need a vacuum pad adaptor for the MZ Gen. Call Bill at Monkworkz for all the details. I installed mine a few months ago and it works great.

…….(snip) Installing the HW is basically mounting them so they are super easy but they need two cooling ports from your baffle area…….

I know the VR is designed to mount on the hot side of the firewall with a blast tube going to it, but I’m wondering if it could be mounted on the cold side of the firewall and in turn not need a blast tube? I may need to contact Bill to confirm.

I know the VR is designed to mount on the hot side of the firewall with a blast tube going to it, but I’m wondering if it could be mounted on the cold side of the firewall and in turn not need a blast tube? I may need to contact Bill to confirm.

It's addressed in one of Bill's videos. He seems to imply that if mounted inside the cabin, a cooling source is still necessary.

So it seems there's no benefit in mounting the regulator on the cold side of the firewall and doing so would only complicate the installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfwc55qNFCw&t=1508s

Back