What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gust Lock

77bonanza

Does anyone have any experience with gust locks for the RV 14? At AirVenture I observed a number of RV 14's with rudder damage where contact was made with the elevator. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it, whether home built or commercially available.

Thanks.

... and here goes one more thread on the repetitive subject ...

Last edited:
Repetitive?

Sure, but I learn something new every single time!

Either a fresh idea or whoa, I can adapt this and apply to another challenge.
Worst case. Shoot, I saw this solution once and totally forgot about it. Happy to be reminded :).

RVPlasticParts

Worked great for me at OSH 2022 Saturday night winds. I was in a section where 4 RV A models got damaged. It's also almost impossible to not install correctly. I've also added a lock that goes inboard on the elevator a little at the hinge line for more security. (I'm trying to figure out how to install 3 of these ;);))

Attachments

• RudderGustLock.jpg
    RudderGustLock.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 244
... and here goes one more thread on the repetitive subject ...

And one more reason to push off of this platform onto the Slack and Facebook groups if someone is going to pitch a fit whenever a question is asked. Just because old folks have encyclopedic knowledge of what's on this forum doesn't mean everyone does.

Ive never tried to use it in an Oshkosh-level storm, but for my use Ultimate Gust Lock works fine. Easy to use and locks up solidly.

for further reading on the subject there are 7 other threads you can reference. see flight control gust lock options of general construction, Oops and fixes PDF in the WIKI.

Two thumbs up for the Ultimate Gust Lock. Mine held up well during the 2022 Oshkosh storm. Also, it stows away nicely between my seat and side wall.

Back