What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Self etching primer cost up?

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Am I nuts or did the cost of primer just go through the roof? I went on Amazon to look for Rustoleum self etching and it was 28 bucks a can. I think it was half that a few months ago.

Thanks but I am only willing to use the rattle cans.

I found a company called SPS Industrial that sells it for 7 bucks or so.

Amazon wanted 29 bucks a can.

O'Reillys has self etching primer for $13/can. Think I paid about $8 last time, maybe 2 years ago. Couldn't find it anymore on PepBoys.

Amazon can be strange. Every once in a while they have a product that is readily available somewhere else but they charge an insane markup, usually via third party seller.

Around $10 a can at Lowes / Home Depot. It may not be sitting on the shelf at your store and might need to be ordered but that is what advertised on the web.

You made me go back and look at my last Amazon order for SEM self-etching primer, a little over a year ago I paid $23/can.

Cost of raw materials to make just about everything has gone through the roof.

Paint Pricing ...

All professional paint products for Automotive or Industrial such as Dupont, PPG, Sherwin-Williams, SEM, etc. have had multiple 10-15% price increases starting in Q3 2021. :mad: My company sells multiple brands through our Bumper-To-Bumper Autoparts stores and Car Color Centers... I have seen all the numbers. Many of the toners are on allocation and hard to come by. None of the vendors are really shipping well.

There is no special deal, particularly on high quality rattle can etching primer with or without Zinc. Really really recommend you stay with the brand that you intend to use for a topcoat. Paint finish and paint adhesion is a system and when you mix products, you are just asking for trouble.

"Rattle can" anything you are not going to topcoat with whatever you can find because it really doesn't need it at all but don't shave a couple dollars if you are going to do a nice paint job over it.

Nuff said ....

All professional paint products for Automotive or Industrial such as Dupont, PPG, Sherwin-Williams, SEM, etc. have had multiple 10-15% price increases starting in Q3 2021. :mad: My company sells multiple brands through our Bumper-To-Bumper Autoparts stores and Car Color Centers... I have seen all the numbers. Many of the toners are on allocation and hard to come by. None of the vendors are really shipping well.

There is no special deal, particularly on high quality rattle can etching primer with or without Zinc. Really really recommend you stay with the brand that you intend to use for a topcoat. Paint finish and paint adhesion is a system and when you mix products, you are just asking for trouble.

"Rattle can" anything you are not going to topcoat with whatever you can find because it really doesn't need it at all but don't shave a couple dollars if you are going to do a nice paint job over it.

Nuff said ....

I use rattle can for interior parts only.

I have been using this self etching primer from HF and very happy with the quality. Interior only and not top coating with paint.

Attachments

• 290BC416-3A7A-4AC3-85BD-E7FC639F0A01.png
    290BC416-3A7A-4AC3-85BD-E7FC639F0A01.png
    499.1 KB · Views: 150
Ace Hardware

If there is one near you, I found it recently at Ace Hardware for just under ten bucks a can.

One of the reasons I hate Amaz.. and Fleabay is that some of those third party sellers think they are all sitting on a pile of gold. To the point maybe they should be slapped for their asking prices.

I have been using this self etching primer from HF and very happy with the quality. Interior only and not top coating with paint.

I had no idea HF sold primer. Any idea why a 12 oz can from HF only covers 5-10 sq ft, but the same size can of Rust-Oleum covers 10-15 sq ft?

Am I nuts or did the cost of primer just go through the roof? I went on Amazon to look for Rustoleum self etching and it was 28 bucks a can. I think it was half that a few months ago.

You're not nuts. You're lucky if you can even find any. In the last 5 weeks I found ONE can in ONE store, and had to travel 12 miles to get there. Nobody else had any. Even on Amazon you can hardly get any, and when you can it's $28 just like you said. It's got to be supply chain issues.

I had no idea HF sold primer. Any idea why a 12 oz can from HF only covers 5-10 sq ft, but the same size can of Rust-Oleum covers 10-15 sq ft?

I guess coverage is based on how it’s applied. The HF stuff has a really nice high pressure spray pattern that is noticeably different from the other brands I have used.

Back