What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip rib question

ge9a

Well Known Member
This may be a stupid question, but I need to ask it anyway. On Dwg 15, showing the top view of the left wing, it calls out the two ribs that get attached to the wingtip. One is called out as W-931-L, the other is W-916-R. Is the -R a typo when identifying W-916-R for the left wingtip? I believe it is, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

It looks like the plans are correct. I think it is just like the ribs on the wings where you have L's and R's right next to each other. Im looking at scanned plans, but will check closer tomorrow.

Greg
The L-R designation indicates which side the flange of the rib rests, nothing to do with which wing it belongs on.
Hope this helps.

Perfect. That makes sense. I'll proceed as the plans call out. I just wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks for the responses.

Yup, as Arnie said, you'll have -L and -R ribs in both wings. They are oriented so that you can reach inside through the inspection panels and get to the flanges with a bucking bar.

When I inventoried my wing kit I deburred and worked the flanges on all the ribs, then carefully packed them all up (-L and -R separately) and taped them together for storage, I was building the left wing first and then the right. Didn't get very far until I realized I wasted a lot of tape! :rolleyes:

Greg, I did the same thing! I used zip ties and had everything so nice and neet - in order. Then I started putting the wings together. I think I would have just given them a different number and had all "L" for the left and "R" for the right. What would be real nice is it Vans sent a picture of each part with the kit. That would be nice.

Back