What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suntail #4-40 screws

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I managed to lose one of the machine screws (flush head, #4-40 thread, I think stainless) that attach the Suntail light to the rudder of my RV-14. Does anyone know the exact length or MS part number for these screws?

I managed to lose one of the machine screws (flush head, #4-40 thread, I think stainless) that attach the Suntail light to the rudder of my RV-14. Does anyone know the exact length or MS part number for these screws?

If they are FlyLED, they are metric.
I installed 4-40 hardware to avoid a mismatch.

If they are FlyLED, they are metric.
I installed 4-40 hardware to avoid a mismatch.
I stuck to the RV-14 plans for this one. It's the "LN-TAIL LIGHT KIT" from the Van's catalog. The kit calls for tapping #4-40 for the screws, so that's the correct thread. I measured the screw I didn't lose tonight and it's 5/8" long and cad plated, so that comes out to MS24693-S7.

By the way, I lost one of the screws apparently while in flight after about 80 hours in the plane. I installed them with blue Loctite and they must have vibrated loose. Don't miss this in your preflight inspections. It would be embarrassing to lose the tail light. :)

Back