What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator stop angles ?

agirard7a

Well Known Member
According to the Vans directions on measuring the up and down angles:
25-30 deg. up travel and 20-25 deg down travel.

My question: with the desire to keep the nose wheel off the runway on both take-off and landing, should the up travel be maxed out to 30 deg until stop?

My experience flying in other Vans nose wheel planes, the pilots keep the stick max aft after touch down in order to keep the nose up as long as possible. Im wondering if the extra 5 deg will make a difference.

Can the up stop (3/4" angle) be shaven or filed to allow 30 deg?

Last edited:
Al,
JMHO, but why not follow the manufacturer's instructions? They have been in the business for a long time and just might know what they are doing. I have been flying my 9A since 2007 and had no problem keeping the nose off the ground until ready for it to come down.
Of course, since this is an EAB aircraft, you are free to do as you wish.

According to the Vans directions on measuring the up and down angles:
25-30 deg. up travel and 20-25 deg down travel.

My question: with the desire to keep the nose wheel off the runway on both take-off and landing, should the up travel be maxed out to 30 deg until stop

No Al don't do it. Stick to the directions and published angles. There is much more to it then holding nose off the ground.

I think the OP IS suggesting that he will build per plans but use the higher value to ensure he can keep the majority of weight off the nose for as long as possible. If that is the case, I agree. Go with the 30*

I'd interpret it the same way - that there's a tolerance band for the angle and he proposes to take the upper limit of the tolerance but not exceed Van's specification.

Can't see anything wrong with his reasoning here, but any benefit would primarily be observed at forward CG or with a bumpy runway or taxiway.

Dave

30 deg.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was never planning
To exceed the manf. Recommendations but just
Thinking of going to the max angle of 30 deg.
However to do so the stop needs to be shaved or
Filed.

Has anyone done this in order to accomplish the
30 deg. travel?

My elevator "up" deflection is 27.5 deg when it hits the up stop. So I think all is good there. But my elevator horn(s) also touches the F-712 bulkhead at the exact same time it touches the up stop. I definitely don't want it to touch the bulkhead. Any suggestions on what to do here? Do I need to fabricate a new up stop to allow for just 1 degree less elevator deflection so it doesn't touch the bulkhead? Or is there a better solution?

Bump .......... I can't believe nobody has responded. That is so unlike VAF!

Anybody have any comments regarding my elevator stop issue?

Thanks,

My elevator "up" deflection is 27.5 deg when it hits the up stop. So I think all is good there. But my elevator horn(s) also touches the F-712 bulkhead at the exact same time it touches the up stop. I definitely don't want it to touch the bulkhead. Any suggestions on what to do here? Do I need to fabricate a new up stop to allow for just 1 degree less elevator deflection so it doesn't touch the bulkhead? Or is there a better solution?

Greg,

Just relieve or file a bit off of the aft corner of the elevator horns so that you have the necessary clearance from the F-712. Should not be an issue with strength or airworthiness. Just touch up the spot with some primer when you are done...

Thanks, Joe. I was toying with that idea ........... thanks for confirming it. I would only need to remove about 1/16" or so off the corner or each one.

Greg,

Just relieve or file a bit off of the aft corner of the elevator horns so that you have the necessary clearance from the F-712. Should not be an issue with strength or airworthiness. Just touch up the spot with some primer when you are done...

I did the same thing, trim the stop angle and the hornes.

Back