What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2012 Insurance

JDRhodes

Well Known Member
I'm moving the RV-9 insurance from Global Aerospace / EAA Program to Chartis this year. They were almost $300 less premium this year - apples to apples. This is constantly in flux. Might not be true next week.

Interesting I just received quotes from both and Global was about $100 less than Chartis.

EAA Global Insurance

Beyond the $$$

Our RV9A sustained damage from the 2011 Sun n Fun tornado, however we were able to fly it back home.

While the damage did not seem substantial, it did require a lot of work and $ to repair. The adjuster was great to work with.

We had just insured with EAA/Global. We now have the dubious distinction of being the first Canadian claimant for EAA insurance.

Insurance renewal this year was a no-brainer for us ... especially given that our rates did not go up. I hope we do not need their help again, but have confidence that if we do need it they will be there for us.

Two thumbs up.

**** shoot

Insurance seems a **** shoot. I know a lot of folks that when they change get a better rate. For me, my insurance went down by almost $600 in December when I changed to EAA insurance. I think it went down everywhere, but EAA was $300 less than the quote from my previous insurance.

Note that I got $0 from insurance after my engine failure in Dec 2010. If I had just managed to ding a prop or something, the whole thing would have been covered but because I was able to land without incident (which I guess was really a good thing!) they covered nothing. You can probably guess my opinion of the insurance industry....

Greg

OK. My insurance man said he's coming over on Monday to discuss the contents of my hangar. I guess to raise rates. QB9A hope to be flying in June 2012. So what kind of Rates can I look at with full coverage and a Plane value at $80,000.00 Bucks? You all mentioned EAA / Global, Chartis. Are there insurers that you all can recommend with Rates with-in $75-$100 bucks. Need to get a feel for it. You have seen the Commercial about the couple where the wife says (its always about the BOAT. The boat this, and the boat that, THE BOAT THE BOAT THE BOAT. Then you seen the two on the boat and the husband is eating popcorn while the wife just sits there! Well my wife said as soon as the plane (QBRV9A) is flying you are going to sell it! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!@$%%^%*(&*( So I need a area that I can work on as far as rates go. Any help much appreciated!

Ron

OK. My insurance man said he's coming over on Monday to discuss the contents of my hangar. I guess to raise rates. QB9A hope to be flying in June 2012. So what kind of Rates can I look at with full coverage and a Plane value at $80,000.00 Bucks? You all mentioned EAA / Global, Chartis. Are there insurers that you all can recommend with Rates with-in $75-$100 bucks. Need to get a feel for it. You have seen the Commercial about the couple where the wife says (its always about the BOAT. The boat this, and the boat that, THE BOAT THE BOAT THE BOAT. Then you seen the two on the boat and the husband is eating popcorn while the wife just sits there! Well my wife said as soon as the plane (QBRV9A) is flying you are going to sell it! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!@$%%^%*(&*( So I need a area that I can work on as far as rates go. Any help much appreciated!

Ron

Did you mean to say attorney? ............................:eek:

Now that this appears in writing on the internet it is fact

1) Percentage of adult US women who fly RVs: 0.0000005 %

2) Percentage of adult US women enjoy flying with their husbands and encourage his passion: 0.000032 %

3) Percentage of adult US women who tolerate his flying but have no interest in it: 0.0001 %

4) Percentage of adult US women who hate the RV: 0.000008 %

I am still looking for a single woman from Group 1 but will settle for a woman in Group 2...maybe even Group 3.

Find a great lawyer

and cut your losses NOW. Husband and wife should SUPPORT each other - period. In my experience, you are better off with no wife than one who doesn't support (respect) you. Don't wait for her to sue you - get crackin.

Ron

Depends - Depends - Depends... Are you a student pilot or ATP? IFR? How much total time? Rule of thumb, you're probably looking at around $1,500 - $1,700 a year. But I can't guess within $75 - $100 without some details.

Well guys,,,,Good observation and stats.I can tell you I have mulled it over thinner than pizza crust!.................Breath..............OK Jeff I do have a IFR rating and Complex aircraft and 40 yrs of flying but mostly high wing. I'm planning Cherokee check-out this month for the next 5 months of low wing. I hope it will help as well as some trans time with a Instructor named Mike Seager,,,,I believe in Portland Oregon. I guess I'll get on line to tomorrow and my insurance man canceled today's meeting rescheduled for Weds of this week. I'll get back to you all.

Ron

Note that I got $0 from insurance after my engine failure in Dec 2010. If I had just managed to ding a prop or something, the whole thing would have been covered but because I was able to land without incident (which I guess was really a good thing!) they covered nothing. You can probably guess my opinion of the insurance industry....

Worth noting - Insurance policies don't cover mechanical breakdown, only accidental damage. Don't let this be a surprise. And don't let it affect your opinon of the industry. Insurance pays exactly what the policy that you bought SAYS it will pay. If the transmission in your car goes out, you wouldn't even think of filing an insurance claim for it, and airplanes are no different.

If you had dinged a prop, the insurance policy would have paid to fix the prop (and and engine teardown inspection and reassembly, if required). But, it still wouldn't have paid to fix whatever problem the engine had to cause the original failure.

Again - the transmission goes out in the car and you bump into a telephone pole when you pull off the road. Insurance will fix the dent, but not the transmission.

My insurance man canceled his Wed meeting with me but I did ask for a quote from EAA for myQBRV9A. Haven't heard yet. Let you all know how much it is ASAP. Thanks Sam, Jeff , and Greg and all the guys whom added here. Times tuff now-a-days you know.
Ron

Last edited:
Worth noting - Insurance policies don't cover mechanical breakdown, only accidental damage.

The SL-30 com in a tip-up -7A owned by my airport buddy went out due to rain water infiltration and insurance covered it, so it doesnt hurt to ask if you are uncertain whether it falls under mechanical breakdown or accidental damage.

erich

FWIW, I just received a quote to renew my builder's insurance (hope to be flying by year's end). Chartis went up 12% over last year. Starr Aviation went down 1% over Chartis' rate from last year. Any reason not to go with Starr?

FWIW, I just received a quote to renew my builder's insurance (hope to be flying by year's end). Chartis went up 12% over last year. Starr Aviation went down 1% over Chartis' rate from last year. Any reason not to go with Starr?

Nope. Very similar.

The SL-30 com in a tip-up -7A owned by my airport buddy went out due to rain water infiltration and insurance covered it, so it doesnt hurt to ask if you are uncertain whether it falls under mechanical breakdown or accidental damage.

The SL-30 didn't fail from mechinal breakdown. It failed from water infiltration - an outside source caused damage. That's you occurance that triggers the coverage.

Back