What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power control box installation

hi bob,

here's how we mount our vp200 control unit (upside down)
P1060653.JPG

just two .063 3/4x3/4 angles lying on the bottom flange of the subpanel bulkhead with nutplates, screwed from below.
front attachment is via a bent .063 strip bolted to the firewall on the top horizontal angle and "hanging" down on the inside to be more or less level. (the picture is slightly misleading, as the angles sit temporarily on top of the firewall angle instead of hanging down.)

rgds,
bernie

Bob,

The VP-50 CU is smaller than the -200, so Bernie's method works fine or you could try mounting on the aft side of the intermediate bulkhead (b/w the panel and the firewall) if there are no deep instruments on the right side of your panel.

I was out at the hangar yesterday and looked at that spot on the left side. What I didn't like about it is that it's likely to interfere with the brake lines coming out of the reservoir in that location.

What I can't tell, Bernie, is the forward end of that angle. Did you rivet it to the firewall? Or is it somehow attached to the angle on the firewall and hangs at an angle?

Marc, I looked at that location you mentioned yesterday. With cables coming out both ends of the box, it seems to me that at least one side would require a severe bend to clear either the top skin or the side, depending on the orientation.

Here's my idea on how to mount a VP-200 control box in a slider. I haven't posted any pics in a while, so I hope this works.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

It will be mounted upside down, with pretty good access to all of the plugs from the sides. Let me know if anybody sees any issues with mounting method.

The gold box is the control module for my Trio Avionics alt hold A/P - before they incorporated the alt hold and wing leveler into one head. I think I will still like having those to pieces of the A/P separate, but who knows?

Here is how I mounted the Vertical Power Control Unit my RV-6a. I am trying to make sure I can get to (and remove/inatall) anything from underneath or through the panel as once the top skin is on, it will be the only way to work on it.

vp-100 001.jpg

vp-100 002.jpg

Last edited:
Back