-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:14 AM

Technically it is forbidden to turn off compliant ADS-B equipment any time or place when an equipped aircraft is operated. Dudley Do-right rant off, I would. The rules are onerous.
Just land at a pilot-controlled field outside of rule airspace and then pull the breakers on the 375 for testing purposes. Just saying. Land between pulling or activating the breakers so the FAA ADS-B red light computer doesn't send you a nasty gram.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:41 AM

Or just tell ATC you're having some issues with the transponder and need to 'reset' it and it may be offline for a few minutes. I'm sure they would be happy to accommodate.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-21-2021, 12:02 PM

Angry Second time

So this happened to me again the other day on a flight from KGSO To KSSI. I missed several attempted calls from CHARLESTON approach. The reason I knew I had missed calls is when I finally did hear them, I could tell by the controller’s tone he wasn’t happy, so I queried him if we had missed any calls and he replied yes, that he had been trying to contact me over several times. My estimate is about 5-10 minutes from the time we had our initial check in until we had our missed call issue. These issues have all happened within 20-30 miles from the controlling agency.

All current software on all LRU’s
Rami antenna.

I’m going to try and start documenting what frequencies and distance this happens.

Now Im wondering if you miss ‘one” call many times controllers just come back to you minutes later,,having assumed your busy etc. However when you hear their second call, but you are unaware that you missed the first one. I’m now curious if that could be happening too.

Now I fly Paranoid and treat the gtr200 in busy airspace like the HF radio listening to static with squelch off.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:27 PM

Default Update

Just wanted to provide latest findings which are kind of interesting. Many thanks to wiscoav8tor for noticing it first.

With the same frequency tuned in BOTH ‘active’ and ‘stby’, and while monitoring ‘stby’ (again, same freq), the radio calls were sometimes ONLY received on the monitored ‘stby’ side! This was verified by observing RX next to the stby freq. It happened randomly and distance from the station was not a factor.

The saga continues as we continue gathering clues…
AUO
Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 PM

Same problem across multiple installs. The only common aspect is the GTR200 radio itself.

Carl
Old 11-30-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Same problem across multiple installs. The only common aspect is the GTR200 radio itself.

Carl
Carl are you saying you have seen this too?
AUO
Old 11-30-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV74ME View Post
Carl are you saying you have seen this too?
No. My one and only experience with this radio demonstrated RF front end selectivity shortfalls. I cannot say I have seen this exact problem as the radio was not my primary comm in the RV-14 I ferried for a friend.

Carl
Old 11-30-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
No. My one and only experience with this radio demonstrated RF front end selectivity shortfalls. I cannot say I have seen this exact problem as the radio was not my primary comm in the RV-14 I ferried for a friend.

Carl
Oh gotcha. The 3 of us having the issues all have IDENTICAL panels, right down to the placement of each component.
AUO