What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How To: Install Hookers in a side by side

Captain_John

Well Known Member
I have seent his topic come up several times recently, so in an effort to answer the questions in a convenient fashion I chose to write this thread.

I just installed my crotch strap kit and Hooker Harnesses, so I took a couple of pics for all to see the details involved.

P2190277.JPG

Van supplies directions which are a bit dated. They tell you that it is necessary to cut the floor pan like this and that, but all the modern kits are precut! Cool! I guess they really want people to do this mod? I couldn't agree more!

The Vans strap, I presume is 1/8" thick and uses an AN-5 bolt. I am guessing this based on the specs in the directions supplied with the CS Kit. The spacing between the front and rear brackets are to be 1/8".

The Hookers require 5/16" spacing! Quite a bit thicker at the bushing! I think the Vans strap may not have a bushing? This bushing also necessitates an AN-4 bolt.

Van tells you to measure and place the parts in a certain place, but with the thicker bushing these measurements go out the window! Soooo, instead of recalculating the spacing I chose to do it my way. I clamped 5/16" spacers between the front and rear plates, centered them on the precut opening and positioned them vertically against the floor pans. Once they were set where I liked, I shot and clecoed the floor pans to the top flanges. Leaving those clecoes in place, I drilled with my angle drill the forward CS Bracket to floor rib holes. I was then able to remove the floor pan and shoot the rear bracket to seat rib holes. DONE DEAL!

P2190278.JPG

Hope this helps!

:D CJ

I wasn't sure what this thread was about until I saw the pics :D

The title sure gets your attention though....

I fly a 6A, which I bought but did not build. It has the belt and shoulder harness, but not a crotch strap. I suppose these harnesses be retrofitted, but I don't know. Anyone done that?
Thanks

The title COULD lead to confusion!

:)

People do retrofits all the time. The kit comes with blind rivets for retrofit installations. I chose solids because I could. Personally, I would do it.

;) CJ

I really like Hookers

Hooker harnesses is a great company and we found this out when our belt adjusters interfered with the flap motor housing and needed a longer connector. (The part that bolts to the anchor). I called Hooker and asked for a 2 foot piece of brown harness so a buddy could make me a longer one.

I was told that he'd gladly make the mod for free if I sent the harnesses back. A week later, I received the harnesses without so much as a shipping charge!! Great to do business with.

Regards,

Going back to the original post ..

I installed the crotch strap mount per Van's instructions. When I got my Hooker belts, I ground down the bushings to fit between the supports, but I did not notice that the Hooker's use AN4 bolts and Van's uses AN5 bolts.

I already drilled the brackets for AN5 bolts. So should I drill/ream the bushings in the crotch straps to fit an AN5 bolt or is there another solution?

Rick, I see a few options here.

1) Install new brackets.
2) Drill another hole adjacent to the original one to 1/4" and use that.
3) Drill the bushing, as you described.

Me? I think I would check in to drilling the bushing to AN5 size. I am not in my shop now to do a feasability study for you, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be fine.

:) CJ

Rick,
Let us know what you come up with. I am interested in your experience as I am in the same boat.
Ben

I've reignited this thread because it'll come in handy for folks getting their harnesses this week.

But, one question. I can't seem to find the install kit on Van's site. Does anyone have a direct link?

Revisiting this thread because I'm closing out cockpit stuff and getting ready to install seats, seatbelts, blah blah blah.

I installed the crotch strap kit per Van's, and yes...I got Hookers, so the bushing in the crotch strap is WAY too long. Seems I have two options...

Punch out the bushing and grind it down (or procure a new one of the right length)
Punch out the bushing and don't use one at all, but use an AN5 bold instead of an AN4

Recommendations?

TIA as always!

Steve

Just installed mine last week ...

I punched out the soft bushings Hooker provides and used AN-5 bolts. Like a charm. :D

So I have a couple of questions (OK, three) for clarity regarding installing 5-point Hooker harnesses.

First, I already have the crotch strap mod from Van's installed per their drawing and dimensions. So now my spacing between the front and aft brackets is too narrow for the Hooker crotch strap attachment due to the 5/16" bushing. Are people simply drilling out the crotch strap bushing and using an AN5 bolt here?

Second, the lap belts for the Hooker harnesses also have the 5/16" bushings. Are people also drilling out the lap belt bushings because the anchor points on the floor are 3/16" apart, then using AN5 bolts?

Lastly, I can't seem to find the call-out for any of the seat belt attach hardware on the drawings. I know it is there somewhere (has to be!). But I've searched and searched and can't find it. Can someone point this out me?

Thanks for the help!

The hookers are always tight in this case.
But not usually, I hear.

I always struggle getting the floor plate on with the naturally widened out hooker crotch plates. Since the plates are already installed, you will just have to learn how to live with a tight hooker. :eek:

Here's an update on my post earlier this week on this subject.

First, the bushings at the attach points for the Hooker harnesses are really easy to press out (hammer and appropriate punch and they pop right out). So I fabrication the 3/16” long bushings, used them, and all is good. I used all AN4 bolts of the specified length(s) for the install.

I contacted Van’s support regarding the seat belt hardware and Sterling got back to me pretty quickly (thanks for that!). He sent me Dwg 29 and highlighted what I missed. But what is strange is that my Dwg 29 is missing Detail E (Zone G7) as well as the details for fabricating F-7116 (the spacers) around Zone D10 of the drawing. Yeah, I could have figured out all of this on my own, but like most of us, I like to have confirmation from the manufacturer to ‘double-check’ my decisions.

So all is good, seat belts are installed. Just thought I’d follow up with what I learned.

Greg

Back