- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM

Default Huh?

I am not in a position to determine if cables get cut very often. I simply relayed a message i thought was valuable to the group.

For the record, however, since 2005, my EFIS One and G3Lite have been fantastic. Installation was a breeze and I've never had issues I wasn't causing myself. Recently, due to card upgrade, I've had to recalibrate some things....working on that. I agree that service is painfully slow at times.

I recently watched neighbors of mine rip out, reinstall, rip out and ship to factory, reinstall again a new Dynon unit. Second one I've seen. Not pinging on Dynon (they are nice units), but they have hardware and service issues, too. What they don't have is a public bitch-board on their website. Who goes there? The unhappy! That hurt BMA sales through the years, and is hurting BMA today as undoubtedly volumes are lower because of it, profits are lower, reinvestment is lower.

I'm not excusing poor service. I am saying that vocal minorities with a public forum sounds bigger than it is, can ruin a brand, and become a self fulfilling prophesy.

The BMA unit is one of the best displays and functionality for the dollar. Poor service, software that doesn't work, etc are not acceptable. But in the overall context of total flying hours, they are small issues that I've seen repeatedly get resolved by Greg.

My opinion, anyway.....

Flame me!

Jon
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM

Cool BMA Comments

As the new owner of the aircraft that Jon spoke of, I can tell you that even though the system has some issues, they are most likely software driven and can be resolved.

Overall, I am very pleased with the ease of use, the amount of information displayed in flight, and the ability to access the set-up menus and calibration tables without having to re-invest in a degree in Computer Programming.

As long as I am able to maintain the use of my BMA One and BMA Lite (backup EFIS), I will do just that.

So, Greg...if you are reading this, keep plugging away, but from time to time, look up...we're counting on you to acknowledge that we're behind your product, but we also need some feedback. The website is a good tool for that feedback and discussions...so, keep that site alive.

Safe flying to all,
Frank

"Mustang" LCDR (RET), USN
FD44 - Eagles Nest Aerodrome (FL)

RV-6 "Tru Flames" (Black w/9-color flame paint)- Flying (bought built)

...and yes, I gladly make an annual contribution.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Flame me!

Jon
No flames here Jon, if you search BMA you will find over the last 5 years I have been one of BMAs biggest fans often being flamed for coming to their defense. In the past they have been guilty of some of the criticisms and innocent of many. This time however the excuses of cut cables are not the full story. Greg just needs to be up front and publicly notify his customers with something like. "We are having serious issues, will be very slow to respond, here is what we are doing about the issues" That would go a long way in putting rumors and speculation to bed as well as downright fear some have of losing a sizable investment. It would also help in decision making for those about to rip BMA out of their panels and spend big bucks replacing them.

Now having said all that I did get through to Shelia on a direct phone line today and here is what she said.
Sorry about the spelling and typos but I am multi tasking today and have fat fingers and no time to edit.

They are down to just Greg (doing all tech support) Shelia and another girkl (purely administrative). She states their volume and income are down due to the economy but cash flow is notan issue at this point and they are solvent. She also states someone forgot to pay the website bill not a cable cut.

I hope all this is the case but intend to proceed with an alternate web exchange for BMA info just in case.

At least now with the website back up we can get downloads.

Milt Concannon

Last edited by Mike S : 06-16-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Not pinging on Dynon (they are nice units), but they have hardware and service issues, too. What they don't have is a public bitch-board on their website. Who goes there? The unhappy!
Just FYI - we've had our forum going for 3 years now, and it's by far the most highly-trafficked forum in its space (EFIS, manufacturer-run, etc etc, obviously not as active as VAF). I don't think we've ever pulled a critical post, and you'll see it's a pretty solid mix of criticism, tech support, praise, feature requests, and so on. We've found it to be an invaluable tool for aiding, not hurting, our customer support efforts.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Default another concerned BMA user

Folks,
I am also interested in a Blue Mountain Avionics group.
I am new here in the RV area but because I have an EFIS/Two with AP in the Bearhawk I am building I thought I am right here.
My name is Georg Himmeroeder, 52 years old and manager at a flightsimulator facility for a TORNADO fighter bomber for the German Airforce on Holloman AFB in New Mexico. I am living here in the US for ten years now and 3 years ago, after building a F1 Rocket together with my buddy Wolfgang, I began to build a Bearhawk.
I am lucky that I have all the Blue Mountain Hardware but afraid that one day we don't get database updates anymore.
I guess I am the only Bearhawk builder with an BMA EFIS which is the reason that I joined this group.
I am glad that the website is up and running again and I hope BMA will come up with a solution to update databases.

But I have another question! Does onyone of you have the XM weather option? Are they still working on the software to show some more features than just radar?

Georg Himmeroeder
Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!!!!

Georg, welcome aboard.

Good to have you.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Georg, welcome aboard.

Good to have you.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Mike

Georg
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 PM

By the way,

That panel you see on the BMA main web page (N152GH) is my Bearhawk panel.

Georg
Old 06-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Smile Blue Mountain G4 Lite

I've just finished installing my G4 and made my first 1hr flight. So far I'm very happy with the unit. I still have a lot of testing and trying different things before I'll be comfortable.

I have a question for those of you that are flying your G4?s. What version of the software are you using? I received my unit in late 2006 and I am still using the original software. The new software version on the web site is V3.19

Also have any of you added a check list to your unit? If so, did the up-load work without any problems?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 PM

I am sticking with 3.18 because 3.19 does not add anything I need. The revision notes didn't make the downloads page but you can find them here in the support forum.

As far as the checklists, I loaded mine. It took a couple of tries to get it to look alright; the font is not monospaced. The loading worked pretty much as advertised but I found you can't load the checklists at the same time as an updated. It's been a while but I seem to recall that the update keeps the checklists from loading. In actual practice, I found the checklists cumbersome to use, especially when I am wanting to use other functions. But I'm keeping them loaded as a reminder of critical speeds and settings just in case.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357