- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:20 PM

Default The Yips - not just for golf

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of riveting, along came the tanks. I can't set a good rivet to save my life all of the sudden! I abandoned trying to rivet with freshly applied proseal because that made everything 10X worse (and also made it so I couldn't see what the rivet result was anyway - something that became more and more important as I screwed up one rivet after another). So now I'm going the route of letting the proseal cure just a bit so I can at least see what my rivet heads look like. I should have kept living in ignorance - I think I'm probably shooting 50/50 for acceptable vs clinched rivets. I have no idea why I'm laying them over suddenly - bucking bar looks parallel to the surface and it's the proper rivet length. The worst offenders tend to be the last few rivets on the top side leading edge. I've gotten my use out of oops rivets there.

After the swear jar filled up enough to fund a second airplane, I finally just called it. Very frustrating.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:51 PM

I had the same problem when I built my RV-9A tanks many years ago. The answer was to stop working solo and enlist the help of another builder. Riveting was much easier with one of us bucking and the other shooting.

VAF donation made for 2022
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 PM
been here awhile

Still using proper air pressure?
Old 05-21-2022, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Still using proper air pressure?
Yeah, same air pressure I've always used before, but maybe I should play around with it a bit. I'm sure I must be letting the bucking bar wander to a goofy angle, even though it sure doesn't seem like I am. Or, maybe I just pulled out the left turn rivets instead of the straight ones by accident.

I'll let it sit tonight and try again tomorrow. Maybe fresh eyes will see my error.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:59 PM

Mistakes can happen with even the most experienced builder. Go at it again tomorrow.

Last edited by coffeeguy : 05-23-2022 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:49 AM

I found it helpful to slather up the parts and cleco them together, with a cleco in each hole. When the sealant is fully cured, then rivet. On the inside, topcoat each rivet with Type A sealant, per the second picture. Do the edges per the first one, too, of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Sealing 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	26079

and

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Sealing 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	26080

Dave
Old 05-22-2022, 11:47 AM

Iím not an expert but I would imagine that riveting with wet proseal may result in a better seal. The mechanics of bucking a rivet changes the shape of the mating parts. This could introduce some distortion which could possibly allow a path for fuel. If you rivet when wet, the proseal moves into the new shape easily.

I hated the tanks and the mess and yes riveting while dry would have been easier and cleaner. Iím just not sure itís the best way.
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2022 donator
Old 05-22-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
I found it helpful to slather up the parts and cleco them together, with a cleco in each hole. When the sealant is fully cured, then rivet. On the inside, topcoat each rivet with Type A sealant, per the second picture. Do the edges per the first one, too, of course.

Attachment 26079

and

Attachment 26080

Dave
Dave I find these photos interesting but itís kind of the opposite of the Vanís video saying less is more.
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2022 donator
Old 05-22-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohoflyer View Post
Iím not an expert but I would imagine that riveting with wet proseal may result in a better seal. The mechanics of bucking a rivet changes the shape of the mating parts. This could introduce some distortion which could possibly allow a path for fuel. If you rivet when wet, the proseal moves into the new shape easily.

I hated the tanks and the mess and yes riveting while dry would have been easier and cleaner. Iím just not sure itís the best way.
It seems to work well for many people, so I'm giving it a shot. So far, bad riveting aside, I've seen that clecoing every hole does pull most parts together well enough. As a final step after riveting I will of course add proseal to any questionable areas.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ead.php?t=7602
Old 05-22-2022, 12:38 PM

I let the ProSeal stiffen up before riveting. Use a ceco
I each hole and fresh ProSeal on the rivet. Didnít leak.