VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #21  
Old 05-22-2022, 11:54 PM
Jim Frisbie Jim Frisbie is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Canby
Posts: 57
Default

I have used a diluted phosphoric acid wash with scotch brite pads, rinse, let dry then prime.
For small parts I use Alodine 1/1 bath for 5-7 minutes
I have never had any problems with flaking.

Jim Frisbie
RV 9A 950 hrs
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-23-2022, 06:22 AM
eric.the.blonde eric.the.blonde is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 42
Default Lacquer Thinner & Bonderite

I'm very satisfied with the results on the 6061 and select alclad items:

1) Clean d/o/g with acetone or lacquer thinner.
2) Bonderite alumniprep
3) Bonderite 5700 conversion coat, which is a non-chorme alodine I'm comfortable using at home.
4) SES self-etching primer.

Doesn't take long at all.
__________________
Eric G.
Ann Arbor, MI
RV-9A under construction (QB fuse)
President, EAA Chapter 333 Flying Stinkers
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-23-2022, 09:09 AM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 5,224
Default Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
There should be no need to use anything as strong as acetone for degreasing kit parts. The vapours are also bad for your health.

My suggestion to prep for priming is as follows:

1) Deburr holes and smooth/round edges as per normal practice.

2) Degrease using a specific wax/silicone/grease remover, this may be naptha based. It is friendly to nitrile gloves. Use a clean cloth or paper towels, not scotch brite. Scotch brite at this stage will spread the dissolved oil and grease into the scratched surface.

3) Remove the oxidation using maroon scotch brite with water and a few drops of mild detergent. The water will sheet off when the oxide is removed. Rinse and dry the parts.

4) Within six hours (to avoid re-oxidation) wipe down the parts with methylated spirits and clean towels just before spraying the primer.

Clean gloves should be used to handle the parts through all of the above so as to avoid contamination with body oils.
Whatever primer, this is a good environmental and human griendly prep process. I tried several processes and a simple scuff with a soap works. I did find Alumiprep seemed to work better for Alodine prep. I may try that new Alodine 5700. I really hate using that other stuff.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-24-2022, 06:28 AM
Southern Pete Southern Pete is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: England
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
There should be no need to use anything as strong as acetone for degreasing kit parts. The vapours are also bad for your health.
You should qualify that statement, I agree Acetone is an aggressive solvent. It is an eye irritant, should not be ingested and may cause drowsiness or dizziness (in my experience needs large concentrations) also repeated exposure can cause skin dryness or cracking. But it is one of the least hazardous of the solvents. Can be used in small quantities (such as the uses suggested here) with only hand protection, normal splash precautions and some ventilation.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-24-2022, 07:26 AM
PaulvS's Avatar
PaulvS PaulvS is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,073
Default acetone makes me dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Pete View Post
You should qualify that statement, I agree Acetone is an aggressive solvent. It is an eye irritant, should not be ingested and may cause drowsiness or dizziness (in my experience needs large concentrations) also repeated exposure can cause skin dryness or cracking. But it is one of the least hazardous of the solvents. Can be used in small quantities (such as the uses suggested here) with only hand protection, normal splash precautions and some ventilation.
I agree Pete that there are more hazardous solvents, e.g. MEK, and that the hazards you've listed for acetone are as per the MSDS. When it comes to health and safety in the shop, I simply believe that it is worth minimising exposure by avoiding or choosing safer alternatives and wearing protective gear, according to the level of risk that we are personally prepared to take. If I ingested enough of any solvent to feel dizzy, I'd be concerned about the damage that's being done to my remaining brain cells!
Cheers,
Paul.
__________________
Paul vS (yes I'm also a Van)
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-24-2022, 07:57 AM
wirejock's Avatar
wirejock wirejock is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Estes Park, CO
Posts: 5,224
Default Nail salons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
I agree Pete that there are more hazardous solvents, e.g. MEK, and that the hazards you've listed for acetone are as per the MSDS. When it comes to health and safety in the shop, I simply believe that it is worth minimising exposure by avoiding or choosing safer alternatives and wearing protective gear, according to the level of risk that we are personally prepared to take. If I ingested enough of any solvent to feel dizzy, I'd be concerned about the damage that's being done to my remaining brain cells!
Cheers,
Paul.
Walk into a nail salon sometime. Wow! Talk about fumes. Some nail polish remover is Acetone based. I wonder about the Cosmetologists working in there all day.
__________________
Larry Larson
Estes Park, CO
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (3,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit done. Working FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.