Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM

Default Trutrak Vizion 385R sluggish in capturing Alt

Morning from Australia

I completed my IFR training in a RV10 that I restored recently; Dynon HDX EFIS, MFD, Avidyne 540, a back up Garmin G5 and a GNS430. I kept and firmware updated the TruTrak Vizion 385R during the restoration of the plane. I'm fairly happy with the Trutrak except the frequent Alt adjustment to match Dynon Efis. I have a back up Garmin G5 and wonder if the Alt can be sent to the Trutrak somehow? It wont sync Alt with the Dynon.

It also banked at around 18 degrees during my training and required a bit of hand flying at times. I was too busy to look into it during the IFR training.

I have adjusted the Lateral activity to Hi and GPSS gain to 30. The plane banks around 24 degrees per the manual, much better for the IFR flying.

I'm not sure what to set for GPSS Max bank.

I now have another problem that was not there before. I may have adjusted another parameter or something in the Mac menu and forgot to returned the original setting, the AP is really sluggish at capturing Alt. It over and undershoot the desired Alt. I dont think I adjusted any vertical parameters though.

Much appreciated for your advice on what else I can tweak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_160117.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	26131  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220430_170032.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	26132  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_160108.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	26133  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220418_134114.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	26134  
Old 05-22-2022, 06:41 PM

Congrats on a beautiful refit and getting your IFR. Iíve got an IFR RV-7 in Australia including a Vizion 385. Agree the manual alt setting is a bore. Sounds like VRT ACTIVITY needs to increase, but strange that youíve had to change it. Maybe the settings were reset to default on the TruTrak firmware upgrade. Where did you get it done (out of interest, mines on an ancient version)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:49 AM

I would to call or email MidContinent to have them walk through the settings with you. I donít recall how everything should be set on the MAC side of the settings.
TruTrak

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS - undergoing complete overhaul!!!
Rans S21 - 6219B
EAA - 309420
Old 05-23-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy View Post
Congrats on a beautiful refit and getting your IFR. Iíve got an IFR RV-7 in Australia including a Vizion 385. Agree the manual alt setting is a bore. Sounds like VRT ACTIVITY needs to increase, but strange that youíve had to change it. Maybe the settings were reset to default on the TruTrak firmware upgrade. Where did you get it done (out of interest, mines on an ancient version)
I had the unit updated before BK took over. It was done by an Aus representative Jon Johanson.

Yes it is a bit weird that the vertical setting needs tweaking. I only made changes recently. I may have changed something.
Will increase vertical activity increases the capture rate?
Old 05-23-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTrakAndrew View Post
I would to call or email MidContinent to have them walk through the settings with you. I donít recall how everything should be set on the MAC side of the settings.
Thanks Andrew. I will.

Is there any other setting I can try as well to increase the altitude capture rate Andrew?
Old 05-23-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpm View Post
I had the unit updated before BK took over. It was done by an Aus representative Jon Johanson.

Yes it is a bit weird that the vertical setting needs tweaking. I only made changes recently. I may have changed something.
Will increase vertical activity increases the capture rate?
Iím by no means an expert, but by the sounds of it the VRT ACTIVITY setting increases the ďaggressionĒ with which the autopilot tries to arrest changes.

(Sounds like it tweaks the PID values which is something thatís really interesting to think about if youíre not an engineer, I assume itís intuitive to them https://www.ni.com/en-au/innovations...tion-366714077
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32648AC1-ACE0-49EA-952A-BFF74A9C6F27.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	26200  
Old 05-24-2022, 03:44 AM

Much appreciated Hardy.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:02 AM

I'm curious to know what changes you might have experienced after tweaking the vertical activity setting. If you've had a chance to tweak and fly I would appreciate knowing how this has turned out for you as I suspect I also need to increase the vertical activity setting in our Vizion 385.

Symptoms I'm seeing are altitude over-shoots and under-shoots when in altitude hold mode. As we are coming through the set altitude there may still be +/-200FPM of rate which doesn't get zeroed out until 60-80 feet of overshoot has occurred, then we see the same correction of up to 200FPM being applied in the opposite direction and the a/p once again blasts through the set altitude going in the opposite direction. This constant up and down happens typically on days when there is some convective activity to contend with. On days when the air is relatively smooth the altitude is held rock-solid.

Thanks for any info you are able to share.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:05 PM

Shear screw intact?