What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TRIO AVIONICS PRO-PILOT A/P

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/autopilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot

New and improved!

As an OEM dealer for Trio, we were very excited to see this new A/P introduced at Oshkosh. I had a chance to play with it for a while there, and I was quite impressed. It'll basically do anything you can throw at it, including vertical guidance for a GPS-coupled approach (GPSV). If you can program a route and altitudes into your GPS, it'll follow it all the way to the runway.

One of the best features, in my opinion, is the automatic course reversal. This can be a real life saver. The backup battery will power the unit and both servos for up to 1? hours. Another great feature is the track offset mode. If you're following your course and need to temporarily divert around other traffic or a TFR, etc, you can easily set an offset track, then rejoin the original course with the touch of a button. Very handy!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/autopilot_trio.html

Above is a link to the new trio a/p. I am looking and think I want to order one to install in my RV 6. Has anyone yet bought , installed , or used one of these units.

I want the unit to fly off of my KMD 150 GPS. I don't have the KMD 150 linked to the HSI . I want the autopilot to simply be linked to the GPS.

Can anyone shed any light on this autopilot PROS CONS? Anything would be appreciated.

Scott Penton
RV Builder / Pilot

Scott,

I have been flying all the Trio systems for a few years now and have several hours flying the Pro Pilot in my RV-6. The Pro is a very competent system that is fully supported by an enthusiastic and ethical company made up of pilots.

Give the info about the Pro on the Trio web site a good read and rest assured it will perform as advertised. Basically it bundles all the features of the EZ-Pilot and EZ-Hold into one unit that fits in a 3" instrument hole. The Trio servos are state-of-the-art and some of the smartest units available.

I suggest you call the guys at Trio, tell them exactly what you have in your panel, and let them provide their input on how to interface their device with your equipment. They are as honest as the day is long. :)

Enjoy your new autopilot!

Ive got about 30 hours on the newly integrated head. Its a wonderful unit, as was the old one. They are still in Beta but as I fly along crossing the country these past few weeks, the new head is doing wonderfully.
They are making sure everything is right before making it GA (Generally available).
The new AIRINC interface is still being worked but its in the unit. I have it wired to my GRT HX waiting for the firmware to be released.

I managed to flight test the servos to -14dF the other day. Worked great.

Trio has been a solid company for years now and you wont find a better supported product or group of people. They have become friends.

Best,

Trio altitude hold

If anyone took out a Trio altitude hold system to install the Pro pilot I am interested in it.

The Pro Pilot is a nice addition to their product line.

Thanks

Everyone, I appeciate your input in this matter. Everyone is very good on here and Im glad to be a member of a great community to be abe to just come out and ask fellow RV ERS what they think of a product before I dump cash into it.

THANKS!!!!!

I have a chance to pick up a Pro Pilot used at a decent price. Is this still considered a quality unit to install?

Thanks.

Great autopilot

I installed one in my RV-7A 5 yrs ago and it is still going strong. I just sent it back to be updated for GPSS and GPSV since I will be flying IFR and it is now coupled to my Garmin GTN 625. Before that, I was using the serial data from my Garmin portable to fly my routes. The unit does a ton of stuff and the customer service at Trio is top notch.

Having flown behind a Cessna/ARC analog autopilot for many years, I cannot get over what a huge performance increase there is with the Trio Pro (and, I presume, other modern systems). It flies approaches like it's on a train track. A few options to look at (either if your used system has them, or if you want to upgrade it (talk to Trio)):
GPSS/GPSV (with this, a suitable GPS will give turn anticipation commands, fly holding patterns, etc): Useful if you have a Garmin 400/500/650 or similar gps navigator.
Auto Trim: useful if you have (or want to install) electric trim, and plan on changing configurations with the autopilot in control (for example, I can start in level flight at 160 KTAS with the autopilot on; retard the throttle and slow the airplane, start down the GS, add flaps; disconnect the autopilot at 200 'AGL, full flaps, 75 KIAS, and the plane will be in trim).

I think it is a great unit, i started my build with a g3X system and integrated Trio pro pilot (prior to the gmc305/307 head unit). The problem i found at that time (circa 2014) is that it would not funtion on its own as a standalone AP or integrate well with the Garmin soft keys. Basically, it would only function if there was a GPS course or waypoint entered into the GPS (430W or Aera, or G3x). I could not simply engage the AP to fly on its own, or in heading/alt modes if there was not an active flt pln or waypoint entered in the GPS. For me, I like to engage the AP on a whim, not have to enter something in the GPS first for the AP to work. While I was going through this trouble shooting and waiting on anticipated software updating with Trio, Garmin released the gmc305 control head and servos, so I swapped them out. Perhaps this has been fixed by now.

I sure like their units as an option in certified planes now too.

I think it is a great unit, i started my build with a g3X system and integrated Trio pro pilot (prior to the gmc305/307 head unit). The problem i found at that time (circa 2014) is that it would not funtion on its own as a standalone AP or integrate well with the Garmin soft keys. Basically, it would only function if there was a GPS course or waypoint entered into the GPS (430W or Aera, or G3x). I could not simply engage the AP to fly on its own, or in heading/alt modes if there was not an active flt pln or waypoint entered in the GPS. For me, I like to engage the AP on a whim, not have to enter something in the GPS first for the AP to work. While I was going through this trouble shooting and waiting on anticipated software updating with Trio, Garmin released the gmc305 control head and servos, so I swapped them out. Perhaps this has been fixed by now.

I sure like their units as an option in certified planes now too.

There was something wrong here. My Trio Pro (2011) works fine in stand alone mode, within its limitations.
1. With neither EFIS nor gps data, the best it can do is wing leveler plus altitude.
2. With gps ground track data (no data need be entered into the gps) it will do ground track tracking (plus altitude). It cannot do heading track because neither the Trio nor the gps knows the heading. The control wheel steering feature should work.
3. With a flight plan entered into the gps, the Trio should track it, including a gps approach. If the gps has gpss commands, the Trio should follow them.
I usually control the Trio thru a GRT HX. This adds heading track, as well as VOR and ILS tracking.

I cannot comment on how well or if Garmin EFISs work with Trio or any non-Garmin brand. I know that Trio later came out with a version specifically designed to interface with G3X EFISs.

Last edited:
There was something wrong here. My Trio Pro (2011) works fine in stand alone mode, within its limitations.

I cannot comment on how well or if Garmin EFISs work with Trio or any non-Garmin brand. I know that Trio later came out with a version specifically designed to interface with G3X EFISs.

I checked the Trio web site:
1. The model that works with the G3X can read Garmin?s propriatary software (which suggests that standard Trio Pros cannot).
2. G3X can take ARINC gpss data from a 430W, etc, and convert it to RS232, so the TRIO G3X version does not have ARINC inputs standard. This means no GPSS steering in a stand-alone configuration. (Trig recommends adding arinc inputs as an option, wiring 430 arinc thru a switch (efis or autopilot), so the autopilot can do gpss tracking if the efis fails or is otherwise not in the loop.)

None of this should prevent the Trio from running as a wing leveler in the absence of G3X and gps data.

I have just had a Trio GX Pro Pilot installed with my new G3X Touch. Was wondering if anyone flying a -10 (hopefully) would share their gain settings for all parameters. After 2 flights, mine is still wandering a bit too much. 430W is primary navigator and default for both the G3X and the GX Pro. Nav data is being received by both units from same source.
It's frustrating trying to hone this thing in!

I have just had a Trio GX Pro Pilot installed with my new G3X Touch. Was wondering if anyone flying a -10 (hopefully) would share their gain settings for all parameters. After 2 flights, mine is still wandering a bit too much. 430W is primary navigator and default for both the G3X and the GX Pro. Nav data is being received by both units from same source.
It's frustrating trying to hone this thing in!

Don't hesitate for a moment to call the guys at Trio for suggestions and settings. You will find them to be excellent resources.

Wow....hard to believe the Pro Pilot has been in my RV-6 for twelve years!

One thing that has always amazed me about my trio ez pilot. turn the autopilot off in-flight, disable the GPS input to the AP, put the aircraft in a crazy unusual attitude, turn on the trio ez pilot and immediately select the servo for the wing leveler and it will level the wings immediately. how does it do that?

Last edited:
Sam, I am in touch with Trio trying to work things out. They are good guys and helpful. This was the first Trio my installer had put in so I'm going straight back to Trio for troubleshooting the gains.

I have installed 3 Trio Pro Pilots. The Pro Pilot is a good autopilot with key capabilities lacking in other autopilots, and the guys in California are very helpful. I don't understand why in this era of computing ability we still have to fiddle with gain settings though. Seems a smart autopilot should be able to determine a better solution.

I have installed 3 Trio Pro Pilots. The Pro Pilot is a good autopilot with key capabilities lacking in other autopilots, and the guys in California are very helpful. I don't understand why in this era of computing ability we still have to fiddle with gain settings though. Seems a smart autopilot should be able to determine a better solution.

Do you know what your gain settings were? Or, how many clicks past factory settings did you have to go to get it tuned right?

Do you know what your gain settings were? Or, how many clicks past factory settings did you have to go to get it tuned right?

Yes, I know my gain settings, but my installs were not in a -10 and likely would not assist in any way.
Guessing you are following this install manual for adjusting the gains:
https://www.trioavionics.com/Pro Pilot Manual 4.1.pdf
Trio has updated the firmware on these recently. You might check with them to confirm you have the latest. One of the changes added a gain setting...

Adjusting gains can be very frustrating. I spent months trying to get a GMC507/G5 gains set before throwing in the towel and removing it. Even with the Trio, my results are not like a train track as Bob Turner reports; rather, it is optimized.

Last edited:
Yes, I know my gain settings, but my installs were not in a -10 and likely would not assist in any way.
Guessing you are following this install manual for adjusting the gains:
https://www.trioavionics.com/Pro Pilot Manual 4.1.pdf
Trio has updated the firmware on these recently. You might check with them to confirm you have the latest. One of the changes added a gain setting...

Adjusting gains can be very frustrating. I spent months trying to get a GMC507/G5 gains set before throwing in the towel and removing it.

Thanks, FORANE. I am using the manual and Trio just had my controller so the firmware should be up to date. I figured your Lancairs are pretty similar in performance and control sensitivity so your settings would make comparative data points.

. Even with the Trio, my results are not like a train track as Bob Turner reports; rather, it is optimized.

Perhaps I?m just lucky, but yes, my TT could not be better. I?ve been trying to follow SIP rules here in my county but when I get to the hangar I?ll look for my settings. Of course, I use a GRT when in the ?efis-controlled? mode, so your Garmin settings won?t match mine.

I use a GRT when in the ?efis-controlled? mode

I too have a GRT HX in the plane. Didn't wire the Trio through it as I never use its flight plan functions. Apart from the ARINC source and functionality, do the GRT gain settings improve performance of the Trio (pitch and roll performance more stable / accurate)?

I too have a GRT HX in the plane. Didn't wire the Trio through it as I never use its flight plan functions. Apart from the ARINC source and functionality, do the GRT gain settings improve performance of the Trio (pitch and roll performance more stable / accurate)?

It?s hard to say, as they are both very good. To be honest, I haven?t really tried the Trio in stand-alone mode in really challenging wx (turbulence). I do know (clear air turbulence) that the ?g-sensor/autopilot release? function works (!). Quite honestly I feel the Hx interface is superior, more functionality (ILS, VOR approaches; heading mode if given vectors). And easy to use.

Okay, I have retrieved my Trio notes. I’ll list my settings below. But note, they may be specific to my servo installation, which I think was pretty much by the book. BTW, some autopilot problems may be mechanical. Make sure there is no free play in any of the linkages in/to the control system. Make sure the servo mounts are strong enough that they don’t flex.
So I have a Trio Pro with programable autotrim. Last firmware update was July 2011. Under preferences, I have: Hnav gain Trk=3, CRS=3, PI=9; Hnav servo gain=16; Vnav servo ALT HLD=30, VS=35, AS=30; VNav servo DB=6.
For what it’s worth, here are my HX settings:
Turn antic 3.0; output normal; XT gain=50%; heading gain=200%; alt hold=100%; vert speed gain=100%; airspeed gain=100%; VOR gain=150%. Anything not mentioned was set to 100%.
Edit, sorry, my original notes were from home. Now corrected for the actual numbers off the Hx.
Edit, forgot to say, RV-10. Settings may be different in different aircraft.

Last edited:
my Trio EZ pilot settings: course = 3, track =5, pull in = 15, course rate turn = 3 deg / sec.

edit: pull in later adjusted to 11.

Last edited:
Trio Pro Settings for RV-6

Thread resurrection: I have a Trio Pro Pilot in my RV-6 that I recently (Oct, Nov 2021) had upgraded to the GPSS/GPVS option. It is an older model, so they couldn't give me the option to interface with my G5 (something about the motors being PWM or not PWM, I can't remember).

Anyway, I have reinstalled it, and wired it to the ARINC from my 400w and all that, and it mostly works. It seems to work pretty solid in horizontal navigation, but I cannot seem to find any combination of gain settings that make it reliable for vertical navigation. I sort of got it close enough to work for altitude hold, but only if I monitor it and not let it get out of hand. If I just let it do it's thing, it will oscillate bigger and bigger until you are on a rollercoaster, and hopefully you don't get seasick or your lunch is coming up.

Chuck from Trio sent me a document that was supposed to be a little more detailed about dialing it in, which I used, but I would change a setting, try it: ok, that was worse, go the other way. Nope, that was worse too, go back the other way, but more, but less, but a lot more, but only a little etc, nothing seemed to want to dial it in.

For vertical speed or altitude select, I don't trust it at all; as soon as you tell it to go, it feels like it wants to kill you. I have checked the servo direction on the ground by the book, that all seems correct, and the center points seem correct. But in flight, anything to do with vertical navigation is scary, and I have stopped using it, and for sure wouldn't trust it to handle any portion of the vertical descent on an approach. When an approach is active, I do get both blue lights, indicating it's getting ARINC data from the GPS, so it knows what it needs to do.

Does anyone have their settings for a Trio Pro pilot on an RV-6? Also, I do not have electric trim, so I am not sure if that is the deal or not. I would love to have this thing working on rails like some of the other posts here. Any other suggestions welcome, it's been bugging me for a while, but I haven't had a chance to get back to it.

Trio

Have just installed Trio Pro in my RV-6. What a wonderful addition.
It took me longer to install than a pro. But the reason I did is because I could find no one to do it.
I must say it was tough for a 75 yr old to get contorted enough to get the rudder servo installed.
But I did and it was worth it all. Great alt hold and heading hold. I am a believer in Trio.
Any questions call me. Not fast on my iPad.
Steve
509.520.7273 leave message and I’ll call back

Thread resurrection: I have a Trio Pro Pilot in my RV-6 that I recently (Oct, Nov 2021) had upgraded to the GPSS/GPVS option. It is an older model, so they couldn't give me the option to interface with my G5 (something about the motors being PWM or not PWM, I can't remember).

Anyway, I have reinstalled it, and wired it to the ARINC from my 400w and all that, and it mostly works. It seems to work pretty solid in horizontal navigation, but I cannot seem to find any combination of gain settings that make it reliable for vertical navigation. I sort of got it close enough to work for altitude hold, but only if I monitor it and not let it get out of hand. If I just let it do it's thing, it will oscillate bigger and bigger until you are on a rollercoaster, and hopefully you don't get seasick or your lunch is coming up.

Chuck from Trio sent me a document that was supposed to be a little more detailed about dialing it in, which I used, but I would change a setting, try it: ok, that was worse, go the other way. Nope, that was worse too, go back the other way, but more, but less, but a lot more, but only a little etc, nothing seemed to want to dial it in.
I would start by watching your 400W on boot-up, and copy down the software version(s) it is running. Send these numbers to Trio, and ask if they are compatible with your Pro. This sounds like a software mis-match issue to me.

I would start by watching your 400W on boot-up, and copy down the software version(s) it is running. Send these numbers to Trio, and ask if they are compatible with your Pro. This sounds like a software mis-match issue to me.

Sure would be great if the fix was so simple. I don't think it is though. I installed a trio pro pilot in our RV 9a and the lancair. We have experienced stability trouble as described in both aircraft. In both cases I was unable to obtain acceptable results in climb or descent. In both cases I was able to obtain adequate results in altitude hold. The RV was much better than the lancair in altitude hold. The lancair has a 430w; the RV had a gtn650.

It would be nice if the manufacturer of autopilots would incorporate a computer capable of learning the control necessary based on efis data. It seems like they react to altitude excursions after the fact and fail to predict excursions based on vs and altitude relative to setpoint.

First thing I would do as untainted would be to make sure there isn't deadband in the elevator pushrod.

Last edited:
Have just installed Trio Pro in my RV-6. What a wonderful addition.

I talked with Steve last night, he installed a Trio Pro in his RV-6 and literally didn't change any of the settings, hooked to a Garmin 150, and said he was good to go without making any adjustments at all to the Trio (which lends weight to the manual stating "The default settings are acceptable for most light GA aircraft").

I will check the software version tonight at the hangar, and send an email to Trio to confirm any mismatch there (it would be nice if this is the answer). I believe my 400w is running the latest firmware already however, but will confirm.

Just to be clear though, it doesn't really climb nor descend acceptably on or off of an approach. It has it's own connections to Pitot and Static, so presumably it would do it's own calculations for Air/Data? I could try testing it with my GPS turned off, and see if that has any effect...

...In both cases I was unable to obtain acceptable results in climb or descent...

Does this mean you never did get it to do climbs and descents acceptably? If so, that is disappointing.

First thing I would do as untainted would be to make sure there isn't deadband in the elevator pushrod.

By deadband, do you mean essentially slop in the control? As in slop not even involving the autopilot? Would I check this by pinning the elevator and seeing if there is any play from the control stick? And then checking if there is any play in the attachment from the pitch servo?

It would be nice if the manufacturer of autopilots would incorporate a computer capable of learning the control necessary based on efis data. It seems like they react to altitude excursions after the fact and fail to predict excursions based on vs and altitude relative to setpoint.

I don't really get this either, why the computer in the AP can't figure out what's going on a little better. It obviously is hooked to pitot and static, and therefore doesn't even need the EFIS data from the GPS or anything else. But, in even the slightest turbulence, lufting or dropping, it immediately pushes over or pitches up. When it's altitude holding (when I mentioned earlier about monitoring it), if I hold the stick and "resist" what it want's to do for about 5 seconds (because we aren't actually climbing nor descending, the VSI swung because of turbulence, we stayed within about 20 feet of altitude), it will stop again and we continue on, equally distrustful of one another...:confused:

I am on a mission now to get this thing dialed in, I have lived with it being half baked for too long.

These things are complicated, lots of possibilities.
1. Yes, it should fly in a wing leveler mode with no gps input. Try turning off the gps, see what happens.
2. Double check the wiring. ARINC A goes to A, B to B. If memory serves me, arinc speed in gps set to low. Check format. RS232 has correct format and has gps out to Trio in.
3. Check for static line issues. You might disconnect the static line right at the control head, use cabin air.
4. (More work). Open up the gold servo box. Inside there is a nylon gear (fail-safe if clutch malfunctions). Your slip clutch may have been over-tightened and in all the porposing now the nylon gear is stripped.

But ask Trio about software versions on your Trio and 430W. That’s my bet.
PS You didn’t mention it, but if you are controlling the Trio via an efis then there may be a software issue there, too.

Last edited:
These things are complicated, lots of possibilities.
1. Yes, it should fly in a wing leveler mode with no gps input. Try turning off the gps, see what happens.
2. Double check the wiring. ARINC A goes to A, B to B. If memory serves me, arinc speed in gps set to low. Check format. RS232 has correct format and has gps out to Trio in.
3. Check for static line issues. You might disconnect the static line right at the control head, use cabin air.
4. (More work). Open up the gold servo box. Inside there is a nylon gear (fail-safe if clutch malfunctions). Your slip clutch may have been over-tightened and in all the porposing now the nylon gear is stripped.

But ask Trio about software versions on your Trio and 430W. That’s my bet.
PS You didn’t mention it, but if you are controlling the Trio via an efis then there may be a software issue there, too.

My Trio is an older model, so Trio said that the option to connect it to the G5 and use the G5 for altitude select etc was not available as an upgrade on mine, so I have to do all input on the control head itself. When I sent it in, they upgraded it to the GPSS/VS option (a different circuit board I think?) and updated the firmware to the latest as of end of 2021.

I'll try to work through this list and see what I can discover, you all have given me lots of good leads.

The reason I keep harping on software mis-match is that your symptoms (roller coaster ride) sound exactly like mine during my phase 1 testing, but only when using my GRT efis for control. Turned out to be mis-matched software (I bought them a year apart). I sent the control head back to Trio, they updated the firmware, no problems since. Separate topic, much later I also had to update the software in my 430W so it would send the correct data for adsb-out. Everything these days is software!

Also, several posters commented on the need for many setting adjustments. While it’s true that the autopilot should ‘know’, after the fact, that it was too aggressive (or not aggressive enough), and could in principle ‘learn’ to fix it next time, machine learning is fairly complex, and probably not as reliable as manually entered parameters.

(which lends weight to the manual stating "The default settings are acceptable for most light GA aircraft").

The default settings would almost immediately result in a crash when used in my Lancair.

Does this mean you never did get it to do climbs and descents acceptably? If so, that is disappointing.
Yes, this is correct, never did in either aircraft. I used the pro pilot altitude hold in cruise only. I would use it during approaches, climbs, descents with roll servo on and pitch servo off manually controlling the elevator.

By deadband, do you mean essentially slop in the control? As in slop not even involving the autopilot? Would I check this by pinning the elevator and seeing if there is any play from the control stick? And then checking if there is any play in the attachment from the pitch servo?
Yes, any slop between the servo and elevator would result in pitch oscillations and excursions.

When it's altitude holding (when I mentioned earlier about monitoring it), if I hold the stick and "resist" what it want's to do for about 5 seconds (because we aren't actually climbing nor descending, the VSI swung because of turbulence, we stayed within about 20 feet of altitude), it will stop again and we continue on, equally distrustful of one another...:confused:

I do the same thing. It's frustrating. Trio has a few software versions for the pro pilot. It sounds like you have the most recent. The last time I had mine serviced, it was updated to the most recent at the time which added an overall gain setting; that helped some.

Last edited:
Ok, so I started going through some things this evening.

1. My GPS software is 5.3, which Garmin indicates is the latest version
2. My Trio has the latest, confirmed by Chuck at Trio (more on this below)
3. There is zero slop in the elevator connection and none in the connection to the servo.
4. I didn't make it to opening the servo gold box, because I called Trio to get their thoughts on the software mismatch possibility.

Chuck at Trio (who has been super helpful) started going through my problems with me, and we talked about the software for a minute. He said there would be no mismatch in my software between the GPS and the Trio, apparently because my Trio is older and doesn't receive any altitude select etc commands from any type of EFIS, and relies on it's own pitot/static connections to do any type of EFIS calculations.

We then discussed VNAV servo gains, and a couple other things, but these seemed normal, or he said the defaults, especially for an RV-6, should be pretty close already (an RV-6 was used a test bed during the development of the Trio).

He then wanted me to blow or put some air past the static ports to verify that the Trio saw a climb or descent. When I told him it was going to be difficult to get under the wing to the pitot/static mast, because I have a Piper style pitot/static mast, he shut the whole thing down :D

He said that type of static port will never work correctly with the autopilot, because the Trio is able to detect changes of altitude to within 4 inches, and any change of the wing incidence shows up as a huge pressure change to the autopilot when the static port is located under the wing like that.

He was 99.9% certain this was my problem, and suggested I disconnect the static line to the Trio and use cockpit static pressure to test with, and in addition, since he was pretty confident that was the issue, to install the standard static ports in the rear fuselage location, in clean air.

So, I spent this evening installing the standard static ports in the fuselage, a very simple 1 hour job that so far has taken 5 :( Oh, well, once again too windy to fly.

So BobTurner, looks like you were probably on the right track with the static line idea of using cabin air. The reason I didn't bother to test that first was:
1. too windy to fly, so I might as well tear something up instead
2. Made a lot of sense that that would cause that type of issue

As for the connections, when I put my GPS in config mode and checked the setting, it gives the flag to the CDI, and the autopilot comes alive like it's tracking a course, and the blue lights come on, and the display shows it's getting "GARMN" data, so I think that is all good to go there. It has also always correctly shown destination WPT and groundspeed, and the XT error from the GPS, so I think the serial is good. Also, previously, when I received it back from Trio after the upgrade, Chuck had walked me through the correct settings on the GPS for ARINC, which I confirmed are still set correctly.

So, Chuck suggested I report here about the sensitivity of the static location, and of course that the Trio was really developed and tested against a standard Van's setup for that, obviously they can't account for all the variations of what people do in practice, like my Piper pitot/static mast. He said obviously that may not explain everyones issues with the Trio, but he would definitely rank it high on the list.

I don't know if you checked into this static issue on your quest FORANE to fix yours in the Lancair and your 9A, but might worth a discussion with Trio and describing exactly how you have your static ports mounted. Maybe you could run a dedicated static port for just the autopilot, or find a way to test it similar to the cabin air idea? Chuck said the main thing is any changes in cabin pressure (opening a vent, turning on heat, etc) would obviously affect it, but would be at least be a test.

I will test all this in flight as soon as the WX clears up again with this horrible wind we have been having all spring.

1. My GPS software is 5.3, which Garmin indicates is the latest version

I stand corrected, the latest version is 5.4. Anyone know how I can get the latest version installed onto my GPS? Garmin website just says "Authorized dealer". I assume it's some special data or something?

I stand corrected, the latest version is 5.4. Anyone know how I can get the latest version installed onto my GPS? Garmin website just says "Authorized dealer". I assume it's some special data or something?

With the 4xxW series, Garmin will not send software updates to owners, only dealers. Dealers can set their own prices, but $100 or so seems typical. They stick a data card into one of your data card slots, takes 10 minutes or so, depending on the upgrade.

I don't know if you checked into this static issue on your quest FORANE to fix yours in the Lancair and your 9A, but might worth a discussion with Trio and describing exactly how you have your static ports mounted. Maybe you could run a dedicated static port for just the autopilot, or find a way to test it similar to the cabin air idea? Chuck said the main thing is any changes in cabin pressure (opening a vent, turning on heat, etc) would obviously affect it, but would be at least be a test.

I will test all this in flight as soon as the WX clears up again with this horrible wind we have been having all spring.

Good luck. Depending on your current performance, this may not significantly improve the issue. Our 9a had the 2 static ports behind the baggage area on the side of the fuselage. I have tried venting Trio static port to the cabin. The cabin vent does cause issues like you cite (while possible eliminating other problems), but in my case it did not result in acceptable climb or descent performance.

I don't think the 5.4 version update on the 430 was a major change; ads-b was added in a previous update. I don't believe it would have any change whatsoever in the Trio performance.

So, I spent this evening installing the standard static ports in the fuselage, a very simple 1 hour job that so far has taken 5 :( Oh, well, once again too windy to fly.

Finally got around to flight testing after changing my static port location to the standard instead of the piper pitot/static mast. I did use the Avery Tools static ports though, glueing them on the inside with proseal, instead of the normal Van's rivets.

IMG_7273.jpg

I can report that this has resolved any issues with the AP, and I am very happy. It does indeed work like we are on rails. It got a little porpoise'ey on the glide slope, but I was flying downwind, and ground speed was 140kts+. Chuck had suggested getting slow and configured well before the FAF, so I think that will take care of that problem.

I had also reset all values to their default, so at least for me, in my RV-6, the book values work almost perfectly from the get go, but you really have to have a standard airplane configuration especially regarding the static source for it all to work correctly from the get go.

Back