What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

finally - I didn't make a mess

A5555

Well Known Member
oil filter change, no mess. Ray Parker (EZ pilot and A&P) suggested a simple sheet metal funnel so I tried it. I bent a piece of scrap sheet I had laying around. It's a tight fit under my filter but a curve in the sheet metal helps the fit. I am finally done with all the rags I needed for clean up. Why didn't I think of this? I don't know. He also mentioned that a piece of safety wire can help hold it in place if needed. thanks Ray.

IMG_20150704_175136.jpg

IMG_20150704_175125.jpg

IMG_20150704_175116.jpg

Biff Duffy and Ray Parker, two good ones at HAO. We have a lot of good ones at HAO.
IMG_20150704_175715.jpg

Last edited:
Neat trick Steve. I am used to ziplock bag roll it over the filter and unscrew inside it. Old habit you know not a drop spilled. Very convenient in the field. :D

I do something similar on my C-180. I use aluminum foil for it. It drains into a plastic bottle that I tie up to the engine mount with safety wire.

Dave

Drain Trough

Another way. Cut a 2 ft piece of 2" pvc pipe in 1/2 on a table saw. Trim if necessary so one end goes under oil filter base. File little notches here and there to fit around things in the engine compartment and it will stay in place while oil is draining. Boiling water will soften it up enough to shape a bit and to bend up a little lip to block off the upper end. The cheap stuff might work better than sched 40.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

my method

i cut a plastic oil bottle to fit under the filter as it come off. Three nice features-

1) It will hold a filter full of oil
2) The light plastic is flexible so it can be squezzed into the space with slight deformations
3) Basically a FREEBIE!!

ymmv

ZipLock ??

Wow... cool. I can't wait until my next oil change! Thanks, Vlad!
- Roger

Neat trick Steve. I am used to ziplock bag roll it over the filter and unscrew inside it. Old habit you know not a drop spilled. Very convenient in the field. :D

Too easy

Wow... cool. I can't wait until my next oil change! Thanks, Vlad!
- Roger

Make sure Roger it's of a heavier duty not just a sandwich wrap. "Untorque" the filter without the bag. Stuff couple paper towels in the bag. The filter will get a bit slippery inside it's several turns with oil still in it. Watch the bottom constantly guard the bag against lower filter housing lip. Turn the filter inside not the bag.If you have new filter ready the whole process of swapping could be done in four minutes or less.
Report results here.
:D

"I bought this from Avery Tools a few years back. Works great"

Buying something is cheating....... Steve - I like the way you think. My milk jug works OK, but I like your more permanent solution. I'll come over and make a template...

Make sure Roger it's of a heavier duty not just a sandwich wrap. "Untorque" the filter without the bag. Stuff couple paper towels in the bag. The filter will get a bit slippery inside it's several turns with oil still in it. Watch the bottom constantly guard the bag against lower filter housing lip. Turn the filter inside not the bag.If you have new filter ready the whole process of swapping could be done in four minutes or less.
Report results here.
:D

do they make a ribbed version? :D

i cut a plastic oil bottle to fit under the filter as it come off. Three nice features-

1) It will hold a filter full of oil
2) The light plastic is flexible so it can be squezzed into the space with slight deformations
3) Basically a FREEBIE!!

ymmv

Ditto here. This is what I use.

Filter change

I take empty oil bottle lay it flat on table and cut it half inch high around to funnel part and take the top off.Works great and fits under filter and adapter just unscrew oil filter and lift out discard filter unscrew cap and drain oil .
Bob

"I bought this from Avery Tools a few years back. Works great"

Buying something is cheating....... Steve - I like the way you think. My milk jug works OK, but I like your more permanent solution. I'll come over and make a template...

Yes, it is cheating..... but it is so easy and clean, and you never deal with hot oil in a bag or milk carton that you are trying to manipulate out from behind the crowded oil filter location.

This thing is so easy to use..... punch a hole in top of filter. Install clamp. Install drain hose. Rotate filter 1/2 turn..... move on to drain plug.

Nothing to clean up after.

Back