What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed providing less support for Zulu 1 headsets

Neal@F14

Well Known Member
UPDATE: Got to speak with Dan at Lightspeed today and they're going to take care of me and be able to fix my old headset after all:D

Last week I suffered the loss of one of my beloved Zulu 1 headsets when the sun melted the battery case since the battery case was left on the seat while the aircraft was parked on the ramp for a couple hours in the Texas summer heat. Normally the headsets get stowed in the baggage compartment, out of direct sunlight, while parked but this time the battery pod was still exposed. I contacted Lightspeed to see if I could purchase a replacement plastic battery box to repair it myself or send it in for out-of-warranty repair and was informed by email that they may no longer have certain replacement parts available for the Zulu 1 headsets...

UPDATE: This was a misunderstanding of the email I received. While it's true that certain original replacement parts for the very earliest hardware revisions of the oldest original Zulus might be getting scarce (i.e. year 2007 models like mine) but if you call them up, they will be able to repair your Zulu "1". It's inevitable however that someday there may come a time that spare parts will run out and they won't always be able to fix every old headset that comes into their shop and that's fully understandable and expected. The email I had received was worded in a way that had led me to believe that it meant there were no parts available for any of the original Zulus and that's not the case, and I apologize for panicking and posting a "Chicken Little - The Sky is Falling" message here. I also learned that there were many different hardware revisions of the original Zulus over the years, and you cannot tell which is which just by looking at the outside of the units.

Again, kudos to Lightspeed! Nobody else in the industry even comes close to the kind of support they give, and I'll remain a satisfied customer and give them my repeat business in the future.

Last edited:
Sounds like a diy project. Might not be beautiful, but I'm pretty sure you could make it functional. Just google 'project box' for dozens (actually hundreds) of options.

Charlie

Actually,, I've seriously been considering fabricating a new battery box out of wood with a dremel tool for this headset. When I plug all the electronic pieces together on the workbench it seems to function normally but the existing plastic battery contacts and plastic pushbutton parts are warped beyond functionality.

Was Oshkosh the last gasp?

LightSpeed had their repair crew on site during the show. I turned in my original Zulus for repair of intermittent right channel. They did not have the parts needed so they sent it back to the factory and fixed it up with no issue for me ( I had my wifes headset to use on the way home). It looks like new cable and battery box/controller. Took 1 to 2 weeks for the set to be returned to me.

Maybe I got in just under the wire?????

A few years ago, I sent two 20-year-old David Clark headsets back for overhaul, along with my credit card number.

They came back good as new, no charge.

Now, THAT is over-the-top customer service! ;)

Yikes. I've got a set of first gen Zulu's. They are my second set of Lightspeeds in the 13 years I've had my airplane, so I'd guess they are 6-7 years old. I'm very disappointed to hear that they are no longer supported. For $800 or whatever I paid for them, I expect 10+ years.

We're going to see more and more of this kind of thing with the growth we're seeing in glass panels and other electronic gadgets.

If it ends up following like the professional/enterprise network hardware world, we're looking at 48 months max useful life span and support life of very expensive gear... which used to have 8-9 years of supported lifespan not too long ago. Basically cut in half.

I was just reviewing my options. Trade in the Zulu 1's and pay another $400 for a set of 2's, or keep the 1's and hope they last. If they don't, hello Clarity or Halo...

A few years ago, I sent two 20-year-old David Clark headsets back for overhaul, along with my credit card number.

They came back good as new, no charge.

Now, THAT is over-the-top customer service! ;)

This is the experience I've had with Lightspeed, though this was several years ago.

Back when i was working on my private, I got tired of the loaner head clamps and picked up a used 15xlx set off eBay for a song. A few months later a plastic piece on one of the ear pieces broke. I determined that the part could be easily replaced by me and called Lightspeed to order a replacement. I fully expected to pay, especially since I was the second owner of said set. Not only did they offer me the part free of charge, they were willing to repair the set for me if I would ship it to them. I still chose to do the repair myself since I didn't want to be without the set for long.

I was suitably impressed and later traded in that 15xlc set for a Sierra set using their trade-up program. I've since moved on to using a QT Halo, but I wouldn't have a problem buying Lightspeed again.

Still, I'm surprised to hear that Zulu support is being dropped, since they haven't been around for that long.

This is disturbing. I have 3 Zulu 1's. All 3 have been back for new battery box/cords under warranty. Maybe their design problem is why they don't have parts. I've had Lightspeeds since the XL days and their service has always been exemplary. I just sent an email to LS. If their response does not provide reasonable options then I will be switching vendors too, probably Bose or Senheiser.

The mike on my Sennheiser just went intermittent. I called and asked for any quick tips on getting it fixed. The phone number was to a general repair person who transferred me to an avionics tech who suggested I send it in for a possible $400 bill. I have not done that yet. I was using it on my Rotax plane.

At Oshkosh, I bought a Clairty aloft which I have been using with the Rotax. I'm undecided on whether I like it or not. I have not tried the Halo.

I have a Lightspeed Zulu I used with a previous airplane. It has a Lemo plug. My present plane doesn't. I bought an adapter box but don't think it works as well as I expected so I have not been using it much.

In my Champ, I'm flying with an old Flightcom Denali ANR that is still doing fine.

I have a couple of other passive headsets laying around that I inherited but don't use.

My friend has Bose A20's.

When I redo my panel, I will put Lemo plugs in it. Any future ANR headsetes will have Lemo plugs. No more battery boxes for me.

At this stage in the game, I like the Bose as well as any. I have flown some long trips in with the Clarity and can't make up my mind if I like them or not.

Had 2 30 3gs. Got old and traded them up to Zulu 1s.

Eventually bought 2 more 30 3gs for the back seats.

Primary reason for staying with Lightspeed: Customer service has always been excellent. This change is surprising to me.

I have two sets of Zulu 1 headsets. I am not happy that both have required service several times. Now if service or parts are not available after 5-years, that would be a show stopper on purchasing another product from the same company.

Looking at the Lightspeed web site, they do have an upgrade program for the Zulu1 to Zulu2 but I would not think $450 is a good price on the slight upgrade. I wanted to trade up to the Zulu2 when they first came out and was told by the company that they are almost identical and there would be an upgrade from Zulu1 to Zulu2.

Have 2 Zulu 1's and they have been flawless for 4 years now. The only thing I have done to them is change batteries and the earcup seals.

Hope this thread turns out to be a misunderstanding!

A set of batteries leaked and screwed up my battery box on my 6 year old Zulu 1's. Sent them in to LS and they came back with a new battery box installed- free of charge. This was about 6 months ago.

I have on older 30-3G headset and just a couple weeks ago gave it to them since someone busted the mic boom on it. 24 hours later it was fixed and not only had they replaced the mic boom, they'd also replaced many of the other parts. It looks and works like new. Cost to me? Zero.

Lightspeed has - without fail in my experience - provided excellent customer support every time I have called on them for anything, big or small.

I love my Lightspeed headsets. I have a pair of Zulu 1, Zulu 2, and two pair of Sierra's for back seat passengers. All the battery/control boxes look about the same. Can they not be interchanged on various models with a little delicate surgery?

Zulu 1 still supported

Just spoke with Lightspeed as I have had a loose battery door since almost new. Customer service said they will repair no problem under warranty. They said there is a slight parts issue if your Zulu is one of the really old ones but they will still look after the problem one way or another. Sounds like there may have been a misunderstanding. Love my Zulu and are glad it is still supported!!

Lightspeed response

I sent a message to Lightspeed about service on the Zulu's and got this response...

We wanted to correct what seems to be miscommunication regarding Lightspeed?s ability to repair our original Zulu headset. Even though this model is just over 7 years old, we continue to provide full repair services.

As those of you who are Lightspeed customers know, our repairs are free of charge and we go well beyond our 5 year warranty. Please contact us if you need any service completed. If by the slightest chance we are unable to repair a headset, Lightspeed Aviation will always present at least a couple of options for our customers. One option is to replace the headset free of charge and second is to offer the trade credit towards a new headset.

Best regards,
Dan Morrissey
Lightspeed Sales & Customer Support Team

Lightspeed Aviation
toll free: 800.332.2421 | local: 503.968.3113 | fax: 503.968.7664
LightspeedAviation.com

I've sent in 15 year old LightSpeed headsets for repairs, old QFRs. I thought it would be weird they would quit supporting any product they sell. Light Speed rocks.

Zulu Service

We wanted to correct what seems to be miscommunication regarding Lightspeed?s ability to repair our original Zulu headset. The oldest of these are just over 7 years old, and we continue to provide full repair services.

As those of you who are Lightspeed customers know, our repairs are free of charge and we go well beyond our 5 year warranty. Nothing in our policy or way of doing business has changed. Please contact us if you need any service completed. It is our privilege to serve you!

Dan Morrissey
Lightspeed Customer Support

I sent a message to Lightspeed about service on the Zulu's and got this response...

We wanted to correct what seems to be miscommunication regarding Lightspeed’s ability to repair our original Zulu headset. Even though this model is just over 7 years old, we continue to provide full repair services.

As those of you who are Lightspeed customers know, our repairs are free of charge and we go well beyond our 5 year warranty. Please contact us if you need any service completed. If by the slightest chance we are unable to repair a headset, Lightspeed Aviation will always present at least a couple of options for our customers. One option is to replace the headset free of charge and second is to offer the trade credit towards a new headset.

Best regards,
Dan Morrissey
Lightspeed Sales & Customer Support Team

Lightspeed Aviation
toll free: 800.332.2421 | local: 503.968.3113 | fax: 503.968.7664
LightspeedAviation.com

Got the same from Jan. Looks like he jumped the gun with the bad news....:rolleyes:

Love mine and have always had great service!!

We wanted to correct what seems to be miscommunication regarding Lightspeed?s ability to repair our original Zulu headset. The oldest of these are just over 7 years old, and we continue to provide full repair services.

As those of you who are Lightspeed customers know, our repairs are free of charge and we go well beyond our 5 year warranty. Nothing in our policy or way of doing business has changed. Please contact us if you need any service completed. It is our privilege to serve you!

Dan Morrissey

Thanks Dan,

I got your voicemail earlier today but things have been so crazy here at work all day long with multiple systems failures and cleaning up after unqualified staff breaking things that I've had little time to deal with taking care of any personal stuff like my broken headset.

I'd definitely love to send in my old headset for repair, I'd even be more than happy to pay you guys to fix it! The free repairs for long-out-of-warranty headsets are indeed far above and beyond what anybody ought to reasonably expect from a vendor.

That email I'd received from the first support person sure did "paint a picture" that it was the end of the line for my old Zulu 1.

I'll try to call you sometime tomorrow.

I was glad to see the reply from LS. I had just got one of my Zulu headsets back from them for a no questions asked electrical repair. The headset was somehow registered to someone else, which didn't stop them from taking care of me. I removed the batteries to ship and and when it came back it even had a new set of batteries, no charge.

Dan Morrissey

Thanks Dan. Love my Zulu 1's and haven't needed service.

Welcome to VAF!

Dan, welcome to VAF---------always good to have vendors on board.

A question of anybody using the LS units, what battery voltage do these units use???

Dan, welcome to VAF---------always good to have vendors on board.

A question of anybody using the LS units, what battery voltage do these units use???

Mike,
The Zulu (1 and 2) and Sierra have 2 AA batteries, 3 volts. The new unit (PFX??) has 4 AA batteries, but I think I read 3 volts. Just needs more power.

I'd make the suggestion that we do something with the title or content of the thread since the initial premise (Lightspeed is ending support...) is not accurate.

Lightspeed has gone above and beyond all of my expectations and IMHO sets the standard for customer service. Since it seems I'm not alone in this opinion, continuing this thread is not serving any useful purpose.

I agree with TooBuilder.

To the casual observer the title looks like an announcement of fact. This could sway a customer when in fact it was all some sort of misunderstanding.

"Lightspeed Support?" would be a better alternative.

Update in original post, Lightspeed is going to take care of me and fix my original Zulu after all..

Last edited:
Back