What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 to 6A

billytime1

Well Known Member
Greetings earthlings.. Has anyone converted rv6 to rv6A. Would love some input, have a rv6, fuse still in the box

Fuse still in box----------easy to set it up for either LG config.

If you already have the motor mount, you will need to change it out.

You will need to buy the main gear weldments and fit them.

Last edited:
The grass is greener going both ways. I can not help with the list, but posting a "WTB or Trade" ad in the classifieds my find the person wishing to get an A while you are wishing to go to a TG. I have seen that happen several times and if the winds are with you, a trade could avoid the costs.

Welcome to VAF, the best collection of people in the world. :)

Converting 6 to 6A

I am in the same place having acquired a 6 kit after having built a 6A - I intend to convert the 6 to a 6A and from tip up to slider. The kit I have acquired has a conical engine mount and of course the 6 gear legs and tail assembly which I intend to replace with a Dynafocal I and nose gear. Other than some other fuse mods, i.e. slider canopy, this should not be too difficult. Would be happy to collaborate with you going forward.

Bill,
The fuselage I bought from a guy was built as a 9 and I converted it to a 9A. You will need a new motor mount and will be doing some work on the cowl, but it is not a difficult change to make. You will curse the gear mounts and getting them installed, but it is possible and you will be fine.

You will have to decide if you want to take the support pipe for the rear wheel out or just leave it. I decided to leave mine in because it will be about as bad as the latest SB's for the 7 to get it out!

The fuel and brake lines get changed and if you don't have steps, you will have to put them in.

Outside of the wing bolts being difficult to get in because of the gear mounts, it was actually enjoyable. I didn't really mind the tail wheel, but it is a deal breaker as far as my wife was concerned. I think I will build a Kitfox after I get my 9A done!

RV9 to RV9A

Hi Bill,
I just purchased a RV9 quick build fuselage and was going to convert it to a RV9A, is it just a matter of installing a support bracket inside the fuselage? Then when you order the finishing kit, just order the RV9A gear and engine mount?
Thank you,
Mike

Back