What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control column question

N546RV

Well Known Member
So now I'm well into working on the control system. Got the elevator push tubes complete, which makes it time to start mucking with the control column and sticks. I'm to the point now of beginning to work the pivot bushings for the sticks, and I'm a little thrown off by the way these fit with the control columns.

Specifically, there's this bit about shaping the bushings for a tight fit between the column "ears" that support the sticks:

Finish the ends of the bushings to match the taper of the brackets on the control column.

And indeed, it does appear that there's an angle between these two "ears." (that is, they're not parallel). But this seems like a bad thing in general - isn't this going to be problematic when it comes to torquing the pivot bolts in place? It seems to me that having these pieces not be parallel isn't a good thing here, which in turn makes me wonder why they weren't made that way. (welding tolerances and warpage notwithstanding)

So some part of me thinks that it'd be a good idea to tweak the "ears" a bit to make them more parallel, but most of me thinks that there must be a reason for the angle to exist in the first place.

Is this just not the big concern that I'm making it out to be?

You know, I had the same thoughts...

But, I just took it slow and and put the angle in per plan.

It was a couple condition inspections later when I thought I felt a little slop, so I placed a washer between the stick and control column.

It wasn?t because I filed too much, it just needed a washer to take up the space.

Well, now that I've been out and looked more closely at the parts, I see that my idea of tweaking the thing to minimize the angle is a non-starter. For some reason, I was thinking the angle/taper was a fore/aft thing, when in fact it's more from top to bottom - really not anything to be done about that, even if it was a good idea in the first place (which I kinda doubt).

Oh well - I went ahead and spent some time working the control sticks to get a good fit on the bushings, which were super tight out of the box. I think I'll pick up tomorrow on what looks to be a fairly tedious process of working the bushing ends to fit in the control column.

Just as a further update, for anyone who may run across this in later years: I was definitely way overthinking this. For one thing, the angles in my column were pretty miniscule, and while filing the proper angle on the bushings required care and some trial and error, it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I think it only took me about half an hour total to get the first one shaped correctly.

Back