What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How would you ship wings?

mattasmith12

Hello from Hawaii fellow RVers! I have a kit sitting in a storage unit in Texas. Some of you may remember my post offering it for sale a few months ago. (It can still be sold if the right offer is made) I will be posting an ad in the classifieds shortly.

There is just too much to do and see in Hawaii to leave a perfectly good RV kit sitting in a storage unit. So I'm looking into the logistics/cost of shipping it. In its current state the wings, control surfaces, and empennage are built. The fuselage kit is untouched but not packed.

My question to the group is how would you go about crating the assembled components? Would you ship the wings flat or standing on the leading edge? I spoke with the folks at Vans and they mentioned that the crate quickbiuld wings and recommended plenty of padding.

I have transported quite a few planes before but not for an ocean voyage.

I shipped a partially built midget mustang kit to England one time. I made wood crates and secured/packed the inside of the crates. The guy on the other side of the pond didn't contact me to complain, so I assume it all arrived ok.

Not an ocean voyage but I drove my wings from Alaska to South Carolina. I was given a crate by a former RV8 builder who was just starting a carbon cub kit. The carbon cub kit comes with a pre-welded fuselage and the crate is about 39" x 74" x 18'. I shortened it to be as long as my wings and left the other dimensions the same. I attached the main spars to one of the end walls and the leading edges rested in foam cradles. I transported with the flaps and ailerons attached and made some V notches in plywood (with padding) attached to the top of the crate to keep them upright. The crate was wide enough that I could attach the stabilizers, elevators and rudder to the side wall using foam and plastic pipe strapping. I had room on the floor to attach some other items, like my c-frame. I remember thinking that I would have been able to get quite a lot of airplane building done in the amount of time I spent packing it up.

Hello from Hawaii fellow RVers! I have a kit sitting in a storage unit in Texas.

Depending on where in Texas, you might want to enlist the assistance of Jay Pratt.

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvcentral.htm

I would suspect he has a wing crate or two sitting around, and is familiar with shipping companies. I figure that the factory has developed a pretty good way of packaging wings for shipment, so why not use their expertise?

Where on Ohau are you???

Stryofoam is your friend!

Styrofoam and cheap moving blankets from HF and lots of cardboard.

Come to the mainland and finish it out, install a ferry tank and fly it home! :D

Where on Ohau are you???

I'm in beautiful Ewa Beach on the SW side of the island.

Nothing like a response over 1 year late. I've been inactive for a while, but I do appreciate your advice. Thanks to everyone that responded. While I'd love to finish and ferry, I don't think my schedule would be compatible with the 4,500 mile commute. I'd rather ferry it eastbound.

Hi Matt--Jay would be a great choice. Our A&P Dennis Argetsinger is also doing some of that, but he's in SC. If the wings are completed, a couple of crates can be built to ship them. Probably from Long Beach.

Suzanne and I were in Hawaii in June and saw Ewa Beach. Its fantastic there. Even though we have a thing for Maui, Kalaeloa (Barbers Point) would suit our business. Something about working on planes in a hula shirt just appeals to me.
Email me at tsflightlines@gmail.
Tom

Back