What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Zulu- Big Bad Bluetooth Battle Blues

Jermechanic

Well Known Member
I just bought a second Lulu headset to ensure I have happy passengers. I took my wife on a birthday trip expecting us both to enjoy bluetooth tunes from our IPhones/Ipad. I linked my iphone to my headset; then I tried to link her headset to our ipad and my iphone connection linked to her headset- thus dissconecting my headset. How do other zulu/bluetooth users address this problem? I could plug one in with the 1/8" cord but i like less cords if possible! Also both headsets show the same name on my iphone- is there a way to label/differentiate them on the iphone bluetooth menu. Ie left zulu/ right zulu?
Thanks

I just bought a second Lulu headset to ensure I have happy passengers. I took my wife on a birthday trip expecting us both to enjoy bluetooth tunes from our IPhones/Ipad. I linked my iphone to my headset; then I tried to link her headset to our ipad and my iphone connection linked to her headset- thus dissconecting my headset. How do other zulu/bluetooth users address this problem? I could plug one in with the 1/8" cord but i like less cords if possible! Also both headsets show the same name on my iphone- is there a way to label/differentiate them on the iphone bluetooth menu. Ie left zulu/ right zulu?
Thanks

Get an audio panel that supports Bluetooth is about the only option if you don't a bunch of cables.

I'm not aware of any method to uniquely name the headsets.

I still run into an issue with the Bluetooth panel in that my music is on my iPad, but sometimes I want to use my iPhone to call clearance before an IFR departure. My panel only will pair with one device at a time. I trying to avoid using a cable for the iPad and leaving the phone paired.

@Bob, maybe the solution is to pair the iPad to the panel-mounted bluetooth, and to pair your phone to your headset directly? The music would be for "everyone" through the audio panel, and the phone would be for you alone because you need to make the calls...

@Jeremy, getting rid of cords is nice, but if you're travelling you'll still want a charger plugged into the phone, so you'll never completely get rid of the cords. I've always wanted a system that works like my car, where you get in, the bluetooth pairs automatically, and off you go... But even that's problematic when you have *two* phones (yours and your passenger's). I'm starting to think that having cords that are neatly routed, and a dedicated place for the phone in the cockpit (or on the panel) is a better solution... Reduced battery draw, better audio fidelity, and more universal as phones get upgraded. At least, until people stop putting 1/8" jacks in phones and move to USB-C... :)

Back