What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions relating to Hours

Allison

I'm New Here
I sold my RV6 two years ago and regret that very much. I have an opportunity to buy a share in an RV8 (my favourite of the RV’s).

It has 1200 hrs TT, all aerobatic (airshows). Is this a problem?

O360 was top overhauled at 800 hours.

Fixed pitch propeller.

Engine run on a mixture of Avgas and/or Mogas.

I guess what I am asking is for any advice on avoiding a potential bad purchase, because I am very keen.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Way to little info.....

I think you did not provide sufficient info to get serious replies.
Keyfacts are missing.

Price? Half of that -8 for 5K$ would probably be a no-brainer
Aerobatics are not aerobatics......was it always flown aggressively right to the operational limits or was it gentleman aerobatics?
Instrumentation.....?
1200 hrs in how much time?
Hangared or kept outside?
Near the coast or away from it?
Primed? Where?
Painted? Condition?

And the list goes on and on.....

and more questions coming ;)

an RV8 (my favourite of the RV’s).
- why? Looks? Get a flight on that -8, I bet your -6 was flying better, as in more responsive and agile, with the same performance on a same engine. The rest is legend...

It has 1200 hrs TT, all aerobatic (airshows). Is this a problem?
- 1200hrs of aerobatics is a lot. Even if only 1/2 of those were only pure aeros. A lot of fatigue for an aluminum airframe. Aluminum can only take-in so many cycles before showing fatigue, before cracking... most of the RVs are capable of, but they are not built for aeros.

O360 was top overhauled at 800 hours.
- why was it top overhauled? The 360 on my ship just passed 900hrs showing no sign for a top job

Fixed pitch propeller.
- beats me as to how anybody can build such a potent machine, and kill some of it by mounting a FP. Do you want to listen to the hi RPM drone for hours on future X-country flights? Any short strip you will not be able to get in/out in your future?

Engine run on a mixture of Avgas and/or Mogas.
- my ship has flown mostly on Mogas. Cleaner valves, better for the environment and the wallet, no difference in performance. Only downside, an increased vapour lock tendency on hot days

I guess what I am asking is for any advice on avoiding a potential bad purchase, because I am very keen.
- hire an impartial RV knowledgeable person for a proper pre-buy

Last edited:
Back