What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtips

asw20c

Well Known Member
I was getting ready to install the VOR/ILS antenna in my right wingtip this weekend when I realized that my left and right tips are not the same. Looking at the cutout for the strobe/Nav lights, I can see that one tip has a different profile than the other, and the cutout itself for one tip is about 1/4" bigger in all directions compared to the other.
I stopped right there, not willing to expend any labor until I had a chance to speak with Vans about the differences between tips. I know these things are hand laid, but given that everything else on the wings is very precise, from tight tolerances to very specific rigging requirements, I'm concerned that the differences between the tips is going to cause some unwanted flying characteristics (think heavy wing). Not to mention that installing the lens cover might be more problematic for one tip compared to the other. Anyone else run into this?

My wingtips were pretty much as symmetrical as molded fiberglass parts can be. It's possible Van's accidentally shipped you a mis-matched set...

Maybe that's why Aircraft Spruce sells the Archer NAV antenna designed to go in the wingtips as left and right?

Back