What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shipping RV6

StephenC

Hi all new to the forum so not sure if there is a post somewhere covering this. I am looking to have an RV6 shipped to me and was wondering if anyone has experience of this and what size container was used. Obviously the smaller 20 ft container would be the cheaper option if it will fit.
Thanks Steve

Container packing

Steve

Have a look at how Rocket Bob has packed the wings away from the sides of the container. A local vintage restorer advised the same method of packing as containers do get damaged.

Where are you going to keep it once you get it.

Rob

Thanks for the replies guys. I did run a tape measure over one today and you are correct the length is fine which was the concern the company had. The photos are a great help thanks.
Once it?s in NZ it will be kept at Ardmore and Whitianga.

Ardmore

Steve

I started to learn to fly at Ardmore too many years ago on the Victa Airtourer AT3 till I ran out of dosh.
Might see you there some day when I visit.
Live and fly in the UK now

Cheers
Rob

RV3 G-BVDC
RV8 Very Very slow build.

Yes shipped ok despite COVID. All fitted well into a 20 ft container and no damage done when it arrived. Now that I look back if I had tried to fly it back to NZ as was suggested by a few I would probably still be sitting at some Aussie airfield waiting for borders to open 😁 plus there were a few airworthiness issues that have since been addressed.

Steve

Yes shipped ok despite COVID. All fitted well into a 20 ft container and no damage done when it arrived. Now that I look back if I had tried to fly it back to NZ as was suggested by a few I would probably still be sitting at some Aussie airfield waiting for borders to open 😁 plus there were a few airworthiness issues that have since been addressed.

Steve

Any pics of how it was packed? Did someone state side pack it for you?

Unfortunately I was only sent screenshots from the brokers phone. The RV was shipped from Australia so no I don't have a contact in the States.

Last edited:
Back