What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stack ‘em Up (...RVs)

Dan 57

Well Known Member
A teacher of mine told me once, too many years ago, that the country I live in has the shape of a cowpat. Centered on the old continent, but not really part of Europe politically speaking. Overcrowed and overbuilt. Luckily the Alps are within 10’ RV flying time and still offer a refreshing, interesting, and challenging playground. Mountainous area flying rule #1, never loose respect…

We are lucky to still have quite a few nice GA fields, either grass or concrete, and I’m located on one of the busiest of them, Birrfeld LSZF, some 20km W of the biggest city in the country, Zurich.
Owning an aircraft is one thing over here, finding hangar space could be very difficult up to a couple of years ago. In view of the declining number of active pilots, some recession, and the youngest generation spending most of their time either in front of their cell phone or computer screen… pardon me, I digress :eek:

So, we started hanging ‘em RVs, and others. Latest hangars on the field were built with an elevated roof to permit the installation of hangers. Having one’s RV hanging offers several benefits such as no hangar rash, theft protection, and, depending if on a platform or not, an easy way to perform landing gear or other under belly maintenance. Servicing the tailwheel or replacing the brakes almost becomes a pleasure when able to alter the working height at will :)
The downside is having to keep that belly clean and shiny, lest being open to any critical remarks of your peers :D

The hoists provided at LSZF are either of the belt or chain driven type. One has then two options as to how to tie his beauty off the hanger, either “free hanging”, or by using a platform. Each has its pros and cons. One big plus is that all the hoist assies have the ability to slide on their rail and travel far enough out of the hangar to permit lowering one’s ship without having to move another one. Open the doors, push on the remote’s buttons, achieve the softest landing you’ll ever make, untie, stow the hoist, close the doors, go enjoy yourself.

Below some shots to illustrate the above. Looks cramped, but all works pretty good, and we are all very happy with our hangers :cool:

Last edited:
img_0794-640.jpg

img_0770-640.jpg

img_1089-640.jpg

img_0806-640.jpg

img_0781-640.jpg

img_1100-640.jpg

Last edited:
Clever solution to a constrained situation, and applicable for an expansion of one. Two story hangars with elevators? Too much capital?

I am feeling kind lucky. But here in the US it seems economics is the limitation for new hangars to be built, not available plan area. Odd there there are so many hangar-lean airports across our country. Ripe opportunity for an investment group?

Last edited:
MacCool, actually not too expensive (LSZF is a reasonable place :)), running at around $400/month. But, like on all airports here, landing fees are charged... again ok here, about $10 a landing.
Stray a few miles away, and one could easily pay twice the amount. Or more...

Gas? Today paying CHF2.33 ($2.52 acc. XE) for Avgas, and CHF1.80 ($1.94) for Mogas 98, tax included.
Oh yeah, this is per liter... So for the price per USG, just multiply either by 3.79 :eek:

Thats really cool. Thanks for sharing.

I used to live in Geneva, where they stack living accommodations in approximately the same way :)

... One big plus is that all the hoist assies have the ability to slide on their rail and travel far enough out of the hangar to permit lowering one’s ship without having to move another one. Open the doors, push on the remote’s buttons, achieve the softest landing you’ll ever make, untie, stow the hoist, close the doors, go enjoy yourself. ...
Dan - I've seen these at Birrfeld for about 20 years but I've never seen one in action - I didn't realize that you don't have to move the aircraft under you - that's really cool! Thanks for sharing these photos.

Ok, you've teased us----now you gotta make a video of either lowering the plane outside the hangar, or raising it up.:D (pushing $10 a gallon for gas?? OUCH:eek:

Ok, you've teased us----now you gotta make a video of either lowering the plane outside the hangar, or raising it up.:D (pushing $10 a gallon for gas?? OUCH:eek:
That's why Europeans invented the liter - makes paying for gas less painful! :D

Hi Dan,

We have the same problem in The Netherlands. We also “hang” them.
But I never saw the sliding system before. Being able to raise and lower the aircraft without moving those below is a big plus.
AVGAS is 13 USD/USG here! X-country landing €20. Local landing €12. If you make 10 touch and go’s you pay 10 landings!

But OK, we have unlimited healthcare for all! :)

That's why Europeans invented the liter - makes paying for gas less painful! :D

The bill at the end is the same. In a past life, I'd pull up to the self serve pumps in a Piper Navajo at 2+ per liter. Total bill was easily over $1000 if flying a long way. Over $300/hr just in fuel, good thing my boss paid the bill.

The bill at the end is the same. In a past life, I'd pull up to the self serve pumps in a Piper Navajo at 2+ per liter. Total bill was easily over $1000 if flying a long way. Over $300/hr just in fuel, good thing my boss paid the bill.

Ouch, ouch, and OUCH.

I also could only find a spot to "hang" my plane at my local airport. But at least I could skip about 30 people on the waiting list for a "normal" spot. Luckily they all had planes which could not be lifted.

Originally it was a manual winch but I converted it to a electric hoist. Also I`ve installed a charger and sms-switch above the plane so I can remotely switch on the engine heater and charge my plane.

The biggest challenge were the low wheelpants, I had to weld new lifting-pieces as the previous plane did not have any wheelpants and thus used another system.

Of course its a bit a pain to bring the plane down as I have to move another plane below, but I am currently paying quite a low price and there is no chance for hangar rush....

As I did not want my airplane hanging permanently on the electric hoist, I made another hook where I can unload the hoist and directly connect the lifting wire.

Attachments

• IMG_5587.jpg
    IMG_5587.jpg
    744.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_5592 (1).jpg
    IMG_5592 (1).jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_5588.jpg
    IMG_5588.jpg
    882.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5590.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5591.jpg
    IMG_5591.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_5596.jpg
    IMG_5596.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
MacCool, actually not too expensive (LSZF is a reasonable place :)), running at around $400/month. But, like on all airports here, landing fees are charged... again ok here, about $10 a landing.
Stray a few miles away, and one could easily pay twice the amount. Or more...

Gas? Today paying CHF2.33 ($2.52 acc. XE) for Avgas, and CHF1.80 ($1.94) for Mogas 98, tax included.
Oh yeah, this is per liter... So for the price per USG, just multiply either by 3.79 :eek:

Hi Dan,

We have the same problem in The Netherlands. We also “hang” them.
But I never saw the sliding system before. Being able to raise and lower the aircraft without moving those below is a big plus.
AVGAS is 13 USD/USG here! X-country landing €20. Local landing €12. If you make 10 touch and go’s you pay 10 landings!

But OK, we have unlimited healthcare for all! :)

Wow! That amount of money represents a serious commitment to aviation! I admire your passion. Looks like you're paying more to fly than I pay for health care insurance. ;)

When I pick up my tailwheel with a grunt because it is so heavy, I would be really concerned about lifting the back end of the airplane with a sling under the belly, which would 'feel' even more weight. I guess if you are really sure you have the strap at a bulkhead, it can probably take that load, even though not designed to.

The yellow 'shoe' under the tire of the RV-8 makes sense. On the others, how is the lifting cable attached to the landing gear? For an airplane where the gear are under the wing, I guess the platform is the best solution.

Thanks for your comments Steve. We have quite a few of our RVs just supported by a strap at the rear, and yes, one thing is to make sure that it is positioned on a bulkhead. On the mains we have hoisting straps, such as the one fitted to the -8 in the picture below. Almost no weight gain, little modification to the aircraft, and still giving you full maintainability of wheels/brakes and other under belly stuff.

strap-480.jpg

Yes, for the A series a platform is almost necessary... though the -14A depicted sports threaded lugs on the upper engine mounts, and a transversal tube riveted in the aft fuselage, just below the upper longerons.

Ah, the lifting lugs look good. Nice to be able to pull a wheel off too! (can't do that with the 'shoe' type).

Thanks for your comments Steve. We have quite a few of our RVs just supported by a strap at the rear, and yes, one thing is to make sure that it is positioned on a bulkhead. On the mains we have hoisting straps, such as the one fitted to the -8 in the picture below. Almost no weight gain, little modification to the aircraft, and still giving you full maintainability of wheels/brakes and other under belly stuff.

strap-480.jpg

Yes, for the A series a platform is almost necessary... though the -14A depicted sports threaded lugs on the upper engine mounts, and a transversal tube riveted in the aft fuselage, just below the upper longerons.

Is this the RV-8 of Anton? looks good!

Does anyone have some build plans for a hoist like this? I could definitely use this for my 2 planes, 1 hangar problem :cool:

Back