What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you put these things?

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'll start by apologizing for asking these questions, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the search engine on this site to work for me. I'll be installing the baggage floors pretty soon and am curious where others have installed the baggage anchors that you can buy from the Van's store. They have small steel plates that clamp to the backside of whatever surface you mount them on, but I'm thinking that isn't secure enough and will want to tie these into the structure by building a bracket; say something that will attach to a rib as well as the baggage floor skin. I'm also looking for a location to install the ELT and an oxygen bottle that is easily accessible for service and maintenance, so I'm thinking aft in the tailcone is not an option. Most of this I think becomes readily apparent later in the build because you can see where everything goes, but it is now that I have easy access and installing later will just be harder.

You may be over thinking things. The baggage hold downs are very secure to the baggage floor once it's all riveted in place. You're limited to 100lbs and -3G's so.... You'll be fine with that structure.

The ELT is very accessible in the tail cone. You have to remove the tail fairing, but that's all of 15 screws and when that's off you have full and easy access to it. Don't waste your precious baggage space on that. My $0.02

As for Oxygen, I'm still working on that. I'm trying to lay out a 3D Printed holder for that, a small tool pouch/quart of oil, etc that I can secure to a side wall but will be removeable. Don't have a good option yet.

As for Oxygen, I'm still working on that. I'm trying to lay out a 3D Printed holder for that, a small tool pouch/quart of oil, etc that I can secure to a side wall but will be removeable. Don't have a good option yet.

I mounted an E bottle on the baggage floor behind the rear seats. I made two brackets that use two screws into the tunnel cover and they hold large SS worm gear clamps (the type that pivot to open and release). The holder has a half round contour to support the bottle. It worked out nice. It is the most fwd position in that area (for CG reasons), doesn't significantly reduce baggage space and is removable, including the brackets if necessary. The plumbing is all permanent, with an 1/8" tygon line coming from the A shaped sidewall panel with a PTC style fitting that mates with the regulator. All of the ports for the passengers are self-sealing when nothing is plugged in, so I can open the bottle valve pre-flight.

I have two E bottles, so I can fill one while using the other. On my long trip to Denver with the family I carried both bottles so that I didn't have to refill in Denver. An E bottle is roughly the same capacity as the Jumbo D that many permanently mount.

Larry

Last edited:
Back