What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro flip down mount strength?

BillL

Well Known Member
I am looking at an entry priced Hero and wonder if the standard flip down mounts can handle the load for external mounting, even under the fuse and subject to prop pulses?

BTW I did search and found no endorsement.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Bump, so nobody uses the Hero with flip down mounts externally? So what do you use?

Bill,

A bunch of us are using PlaneAround wingtip and tiedown mounts. It's real solid machined aluminum stuff. Less likely to lose your Gopro with that.

The other day I had a Gopro 360 MAX (much larger than the Hero) on my Zlin50's wingtip, with just a standard stick-on mount. It did fine, but it's a slower airplane than the RV, I was doing around 120kts or so, indicated.

Lenny

I'm not exactly sure what "flip down mounts" are but I use the standard GoPro "stick-on" bases but with modification. I drill a hole in them and run a screw thru into an existing hole (wingtip screws or whatever). If you forget to tighten the finger-screw thing, the camera tips back into the airflow.

I fly very often (once a week??) with with three cameras, haven't lost one yet. You can kinda see the wingtip mounted cameras in my videos.

https://youtu.be/DExwUINF8gc

I am looking at an entry priced Hero and wonder if the standard flip down mounts can handle the load for external mounting, even under the fuse and subject to prop pulses?

BTW I did search and found no endorsement.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Show us a pic of what you mean by flip down mounts? You talking the legs that fold down like on a GoPro8? If so they're good to 190 kts so far.

Gold Star

Show us a pic of what you mean by flip down mounts? You talking the legs that fold down like on a GoPro8? If so they're good to 190 kts so far.

Yes, Stu, the fold down legs as another name. 190KTAS is good. :D

To much $$$$ to fly away and become lost.

Thanks!!

Follow-up

The legs are steel, and least ferrous, as there is a magnet that holds them in place. I use the mount and indeed reached 190KTAS without incident.

Upon finding they were metal and not plastic, the comfort level increased to acceptability. I suspect they are powdered metal and quite strong, as is the pivot pin.

There are 4 small screws holding the folding leg assembly to the camera. I found an aluminum replacement that has a 1/4-20 thread on it if the occasion arises.

Now if I can retrieve the videos of Mt Rainier from a self corrupted SanDisk card I will be happy. OK, less grumpy.

Go pro mounts

You would be surprised how little pressure the gopto and mount actually take from the relative wind. Less that 5 pounds at 200 knots. Those (legs) (mounts) are plenty strong.

Case?

Having just upgraded from the Hero3 to the 9 my wing mounted case does not fit, do you fly with the gopro9 without a case just bolted to the mount? If so do you have screen protectors fitted? The new waterproof cases are quite large.
Thanks
Figs

I see that there are a few reports of people using the fold down legs on the GoPro up to Vne. It’s good to hear they hold up at speed.

Are you using any other special mounting hardware? Do you use the plastic hardware that’s included with the camera to mount it to the airplane, or something more robust?

I’ve seen aluminum frames that wrap around the camera, and aluminum forks (not sure what they’re actually called) that the cameras fold down legs slides into. I’m wondering if this is necessary. I REALLY don’t want to lose a brand new camera, but at the same time, I’m looking for the simplest solution. I want to film aerobatics (up to Vne) from outside the cockpit. Any help is appreciated.

I use a RockSteady mount for InstaOne and GoPro cameras, mounts readily to the wingtip screws or inspection panels. Rather then relying on the plastic “flip down” mounting case, I opted for an aluminum one. It’s a very solid mount. I don’t know if it’s more solid than necessary. I didn’t want to take chances.

Attachments

• B0F51C3F-DB99-424E-AD59-E457C7B274F1.jpeg
    B0F51C3F-DB99-424E-AD59-E457C7B274F1.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 61
  • E05D8474-01CC-415B-9E59-F71EEA098CD7.jpeg
    E05D8474-01CC-415B-9E59-F71EEA098CD7.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 67
I use a RockSteady mount for InstaOne and GoPro cameras, mounts readily to the wingtip screws or inspection panels. Rather then relying on the plastic “flip down” mounting case, I opted for an aluminum one. It’s a very solid mount. I don’t know if it’s more solid than necessary. I didn’t want to take chances.

I have that flush mount also, and I had a similar frame for an older GoPro.
I’m wondering if that is necessary. I feel as though the additional weight of the beefed up frame adds stress under G load. Like you, I don’t want to lose the camera, so I’m trying to find a balance between strength and weight.

I guess what I’m asking is if anyone is using just the provided GoPro mounts that are plastic while doing aerobatics. Maybe Stu will chime in as he does a lot of filming, and aerobatics too.

I get questions like this pretty often so I created a little video of the mounting of my multi-camera setup - here.

New information since the video... I had one of the GoPro mounts crack recently. It was on my vertical stab mount and was one of the three little fingers thru which the fastener goes. The camera remained in place.

I'm of the opinion that the vertical fin mounted camera take a bit of a beating. The air loads are sufficient that it will 'push back' if not firmly snugged down and on rough airstrips, it gets jostled a fair bit. Probably not worse than mounted to a mountain bike though. I don't think the gentleman acro that I do creates any significant loads on the cameras.

Someone asked about vne. I've never ran that fast with the cameras mounted.

Back