What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim Motor Assembly

asw20c

Well Known Member
I'm finally getting close to finishing my slow-build wings, and thought that of the tasks that remain that I would go ahead and install the aileron trim motor assembly even though the plans are written such that they assume the wings are already installed on the fuselage. No problems with the kit and even crimping the tiny molex pins to the wires didn't present too much of a challenge, but once everything was done I found that trying to attach the springs to the swing arm through the access hatch (while the access hatch and trim assembly are trying to close the hole) is just about impossible. How have others completed this step? I'm thinking this is one of those times where you need to call your neighbor for another set of hands. I've attached pull strings; one leading inboard for the outboard spring, and one leading outboard for the inboard spring thinking that if I have my neighbor pull on the strings (springs) then I can attach the other end of the springs to the swing arm while he's pulling. Thoughts? Any other strategy for attaching the springs?

unscrew the assembly from the access panel, attach the springs to the trim arm, and then reattach motor assembly to the access panel. It is easier if you rotate the assembly so the arm is pointed toward the access hole rather than away from it; rotate it back after the second spring is attached. I actually did this step with the bottom skin off, but I checked all the clearances with the bottom skin clecoed on and in position. It would work either way (but of course was easier with the skin off). Slightly open the spring end loops to make attaching to the trim arm a little easier.

_Alex

Last edited:
Even easier is to remove the arm from the motor, and install the springs and arm assembly outside of the wing and you can still slide the whole assembly in later and reattach the arm to the motor/inspection plate.

Back