What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fuel Tank J Channel Back Riveting?

Well Known Member
The plans instruct the builder to slide the j channel in and rivet it after the ribs have been riveted. Would it not be simpler and possibly nicer looking to back rivet the channel to the skin and then place the ribs?

I thought of doing that, but believe if you do that then installing the ribs becomes more difficult. Don’t think he ribs will fit over the j channel without some sideways motion or twisting. That may smear the pro seal and make a larger mess in the tank. It may be possible but do a “dry” run on the bench to make sure you can make it work.

I ended up just following the directions and sliding in the j channel.

Last edited:
I thought of doing that, but believe if you do that then installing the ribs becomes more difficult. Don?t think he ribs will fit over the j channel without some sideways motion or twisting. That may smear the pro seal and make a larger mess in the tank. It may be possible but do a ?dry? run on the bench to make sure you can make it work.

I ended up just following the directions and sliding in the j channel.

How did that work out? I kind of like to spread a thin coat of sealant on both surfaces and it seems that might be more difficult once the ribs are in the way.

Back when I was doing the match drilling of all the tank parts, I believe I tried installing the ribs after the stiffener was clecoed in place, but that was long enough ago that I can't remember what I decided.

I put proseal on the flange of the j channel and on the skin and slid it in. Easy enough to hold it off the skin(mostly) and it only dragged a little proseal.

The plans instruct the builder to slide the j channel in and rivet it after the ribs have been riveted. Would it not be simpler and possibly nicer looking to back rivet the channel to the skin and then place the ribs?

What Brian said is correct. Although I think you might be able to wiggle the rib in place you?ll regret it because you?ll be smearing pro seal everywhere...meaning off the rib.

I initially tried placing the J-channel in place and shooting pro seal behind it with my pneumatic pro seal applicator. Short story, that didn?t work and I made a ginormous mess. I?d recommend you just get someone to help you slide it in place without touching the skin.

Back